Extra software licences necessary for a notebook?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:49
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2005

Still thinking about buying that notebook, I wonder if it is necessary to buy extra software licences, for example for MS Office and Trados, in order to use them on a notebook? Or can the existing software, that has already been paid for, be copied onto a notebook?

Astrid

Direct link Reply with quote

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Depends on the SW Dec 10, 2005

Office XP must be "activated", so you can't use one copy on two machines (a PC and a notebook or whatever). With other Office versions, you can theoretically do so, but AFAIK you are not permitted to.

Trados Freelances 7 comes with the permission, AFAIK, to be used on 2 machines. The Trados versions with dongles obviously require you to move the dongle to the machine you are using at any given time.

The easiest thing to do is to read the EULAS (licence agreements) for each software product you are using, and decide on this basis which ones may be used "double" and which ones may not.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This question cannot be answered in general Dec 10, 2005

Because it depends on the kind of licence you have for your software.

The easiest and first answer would be: generally NOT!

However, Trados 7 Freelance can be installed on notebook and desktop, but not used at the same time.
If you have the full version of Office XP, you may also install it on notebook AND PC at the same time. If you buy Office OEM, you may not do this.

As for operating systems, they may - if bought as single license - be only installed on one PC.

Therefore check your software licences or ask your reseller, as any answer given here might be wrong, because no one of us knows what kind of licenses you have and what their regulations are.

Merry X-Mas
Jerzy

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
You'll need an additional licence for Microsoft products Dec 10, 2005

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Still thinking about buying that notebook, I wonder if it is necessary to buy extra software licences, for example for MS Office and Trados, in order to use them on a notebook? Or can the existing software, that has already been paid for, be copied onto a notebook?

Astrid

If you buy it bundled with your notebook, it will come much cheaper.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, I'll check with the EULAs Dec 10, 2005

The only software I wanted to know about was Office XP (full business version) and Trados 7, so it seems the good news is that I can use these. This, then, makes buying the notebook worthwhile.

I'll check with the EULAS for the other things (Abbyy Fine Reader, and so on).

Thanks to all of you for the quick answers.

Astrid

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Careful with bundles Dec 10, 2005

Can Altinbay wrote:

If you buy it bundled with your notebook, it will come much cheaper.

Running off-topic here - be careful with bundles to make sure you get what you really want. Simple OEM or bios-lock, full or basic versions... I asked for Microsoft Office in English (the German version has some issues in cooperation with Trados), they gave me a German one. I had a heck of a time refusing the German software because they claimed they had especially ordered it for me. So double-check what is in that bundle!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry for misusing this thread Dec 10, 2005

Running off-topic here - be careful with bundles to make sure you get what you really want. Simple OEM or bios-lock, full or basic versions... I asked for Microsoft Office in English (the German version has some issues in cooperation with Trados), they gave me a German one. I had a heck of a time refusing the German software because they claimed they had especially ordered it for me. So double-check what is in that bundle!

I´m using German version of Office (starting with 97 AFAIR) with Trados since my very beginning of working with this software and am not aware of any issues. So it is highly interesting for me to get to know what kind of issues do you mean. Thank you very much.

Best regards
Jerzy

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 06:49
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
one licence of full version of Office XP on notebook AND PC at the same time Dec 10, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If you have the full version of Office XP, you may also install it on notebook AND PC at the same time.

Jerzy

Where I could check this?
Can you provide some more information on this statement? (links?)

Best regards,

Misho

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is what I was told by the German Microsof Hotline Dec 10, 2005

You should read your EULA - this must be there.

Here is a part from MS FAQ about Office:

How many installations can be made with one product license? Has this changed with the introduction of MPA?

The underlying principles of Microsoft product licenses have not changed. Microsoft EULAs have always specified the number of computers where the product can be installed. MPA does not change that. For Office XP, primary users can also install one copy of the product on a portable computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP on more than these two devices, the user must acquire another license of the product. Licenses for copies of Office XP that are preinstalled on new computers are single-computer licenses that cannot be transferred or installed again on another computer. The licensing terms have not been changed because of MPA.

You can see more answers here.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2005-12-10 20:38]

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 06:49
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Thank you, Jerzy! Dec 11, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You should read your EULA - this must be there.

Here is a part from MS FAQ about Office:

How many installations can be made with one product license? Has this changed with the introduction of MPA?

The underlying principles of Microsoft product licenses have not changed. Microsoft EULAs have always specified the number of computers where the product can be installed. MPA does not change that. For Office XP, primary users can also install one copy of the product on a portable computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP on more than these two devices, the user must acquire another license of the product. Licenses for copies of Office XP that are preinstalled on new computers are single-computer licenses that cannot be transferred or installed again on another computer. The licensing terms have not been changed because of MPA.

You can see more answers here.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2005-12-10 20:38]

Thank you very much for explanation, Jerzy!

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Off-topic: Bundles Dec 11, 2005

Ricki Farn wrote:

That is the answer they also gave me after I had specifically ordered my laptop (DELL) with the English versions of the Microsoft programs. They were so nasty on the hotline, that I ended up having a colleague represent me and send some nasty letters to the Managing Director of DELL (I wrote them and he signed them), which actually did bring the desired results. It was, however, a royal pain in the butt.

[Edited at 2005-12-11 11:24]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extra software licences necessary for a notebook?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search