https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/40500-480_files_to_merge.html

480 files to merge...
Thread poster: Bruno Piatti
Bruno Piatti
Bruno Piatti  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:55
English to Italian
Dec 21, 2005

Hi
I have a bunch of small files (about 480) I have to check; the file format is .ttx, but I can ‘clean’ them and obtain .htm.
My question is: is there any utility to merge those 480, mantaining each file name?
That way, I’ll be able to check them, do a global spelling check, search e replace and so on and apply the changes to the single file.

Thanks

Bruno

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Importing multiple files into DVX Dec 21, 2005

Bruno Piatti wrote:
I have a bunch of small files (about 480) I have to check; the file format is .ttx, but I can ‘clean’ them and obtain .htm.
My question is: is there any utility to merge those 480, mantaining each file name?
That way, I’ll be able to check them, do a global spelling check, search & replace and so on and apply the changes to the single file.

It might be overkill in your case (as you say you ***only*** have to check them), but DVX can import lots of files into a single project, and you can then search/replace, view all segments with a defined string in the source segment (this is known as "filter") and do all sorts of other tasks.

.ttx is one of the file formats that DVX supports (according to the Help file -- I haven't tried it myself).
Not sure of the workflow for checking/editing (I use DVX for translating, which is what it is actually designed for), but there is probably a solution for your job.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
DVX Dec 21, 2005

Yes, DVX is suitable for this kind of job - and it is freely available for a limited period. (www.atril.com)
I just finished a large proofreading job (50k words, spread across 10 files) in DVX. These were Trados bilingual files plus a ppt, but the same process can be applied to a wide range of other formats as well.
After the proofing process, you can export all the files separately, keeping their origin
... See more
Yes, DVX is suitable for this kind of job - and it is freely available for a limited period. (www.atril.com)
I just finished a large proofreading job (50k words, spread across 10 files) in DVX. These were Trados bilingual files plus a ppt, but the same process can be applied to a wide range of other formats as well.
After the proofing process, you can export all the files separately, keeping their original names (files are exported to a different folder, so you will not mix them up with your original files).
Csaba
Collapse

Wouter van Kampen
Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 22:55
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
use DOS or SDLX Dec 21, 2005

htm and html are basically plain text files.

proceed as follows:

1. put alle the htm files in a separate directory (e.g. d:\kiaora )
2. on the c:\ prompt write c:\copy d:\kiaora\*.* all.htm

Now all the files are glued together in all.htm

Note: first try with let's say 3 files and see if you can split them up afterwards. You can open and doctor a htm file in notepad. Textpad is however more convenient.

Even better: use SDLX
... See more
htm and html are basically plain text files.

proceed as follows:

1. put alle the htm files in a separate directory (e.g. d:\kiaora )
2. on the c:\ prompt write c:\copy d:\kiaora\*.* all.htm

Now all the files are glued together in all.htm

Note: first try with let's say 3 files and see if you can split them up afterwards. You can open and doctor a htm file in notepad. Textpad is however more convenient.

Even better: use SDLX

Note: when you send or receive a htm file trough ftp make sure to transfer as ASCII and not as Binary!

Best regards

Bruno Piatti wrote:

Hi
That way, I’ll be able to check them, do a global spelling check, search e replace and so on and apply the changes to the single file.

Thanks

Bruno

[Edited at 2005-12-21 13:19]

[Edited at 2005-12-21 13:19]
Collapse

Bruno Piatti
Bruno Piatti  Identity Verified
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Done! Dec 21, 2005

Thanks to all!
I converted the .ttx files to .itd files with SDL Exchange.
I imported in a new SDLX TM all the .itd
Than I checked the TM with SDL Mantain and when I found any error/change I know the original file name in Translation attributes windows.

Thanks again

Bruno

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

480 files to merge...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »