Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 22, 2005

Hi.

I have to translate a document AND translate all the track changes. When I do a wordcount with the track changes there, I get 1,011 words. When I accept changes, and do a wordcount, I still get 1,011. So I know those changes aren't being counted. How can I count this document with all the changes?

Thanks.

Balttext
Balttext  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:49
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sure? Dec 22, 2005

Are you sure they are not counted already without accepting them? Try rather the opposite - reject all and then count, the word count then should be less IMHO

I hope it helps

Regards,

Uldis

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
exactly Dec 22, 2005

Balttext wrote:
Try rather the opposite - reject all and then count, the word count then should be less IMHO

1) Make a copy of the file and reject all the changes.
2) Get the wordcount for this file
3) Get the wordcount of the file with tracked changes.
The difference should be the wordcount you want.

Grace.

[Edited at 2005-12-22 17:45]

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rejected! Dec 22, 2005

Hi.

The rejected wordcount is 1367. The accepted is 1011. So that does that mean that I've got 1367 words total?

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's start again Dec 22, 2005

Hi Sandra,

I think I forgot to consider a few things (that were important :S)
Do you need to translate the whole document plus the tracked changes? or ONLY the changes?

I'm thinking that the method I told you (thinking of getting the wordcount for the changes only) would be fine if the changes were only additions. But if some of the changes delete some parts, it wouldn't work. And I'm not sure if any method other than counting manually would work really!!... See more
Hi Sandra,

I think I forgot to consider a few things (that were important :S)
Do you need to translate the whole document plus the tracked changes? or ONLY the changes?

I'm thinking that the method I told you (thinking of getting the wordcount for the changes only) would be fine if the changes were only additions. But if some of the changes delete some parts, it wouldn't work. And I'm not sure if any method other than counting manually would work really!!

G
Collapse

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 21:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It depends on the type of the changes, but... Dec 22, 2005

...as the accepted number of words is less than the "rejected" wordcount, it seems there were more deletions than additions, but making changes means more work, so you ought to invoice for the "rejected" wordcount, I think. (I assume you charge per source text, anyway.)
Probably the best thing in this case would be to charge per hour, but it might be too late to agree about that.

Post hidden: The author has been asked to edit this post in line with site rule
hprescott
hprescott
German to English
PractiCount's revision setting failing Jan 26, 2010

I am using PractiCount to count words. Since I deal with a lot of updated documentation and document comparisons, I thought the revisions function in PractiCount would be helpful and was so excited to find it. It would be excellent if I could assess the number of deleted and inserted words to quantify the work involved.

Unfortunately, the word count with the revisions setting activated often fails, and if it does not fail, it does not seem like the word counts are reliable. I have m
... See more
I am using PractiCount to count words. Since I deal with a lot of updated documentation and document comparisons, I thought the revisions function in PractiCount would be helpful and was so excited to find it. It would be excellent if I could assess the number of deleted and inserted words to quantify the work involved.

Unfortunately, the word count with the revisions setting activated often fails, and if it does not fail, it does not seem like the word counts are reliable. I have manually counted the number of inserted/deleted text and found deviations from that determined by PractiCount. It also does not seem to count revised number and symbols. Is this true?

Does anyone have any insight as to why it is failing. By failing, I mean that the file name does not appear in the report and the number of words counted is 0.

Note: I am doing document comparisons in Word and not revising the text directly with "track changes" on. Does anyone know if this affects the PractiCount revision function?
The files for analysis are on a net drive.

I have submitted a support inquiry to Practiline and hope to hear from them soon; however, my last support inquiry in December has not been answered yet.

Does anyone have any insight into how one can get a support response from PractiCount?

Thanks and best regards,
Hillary
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I count docs with track changes?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »