Thread poster: Burrell

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:13
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jan 6, 2006

I have a Word text in two columns. Unfortunately the columns are not divided, you can just see them as columns. In reality when I open a segment with Trados, I get a line from the left columnt together with the line from the right column, looks like somebody used a tabulator.
Is there anything I can do or I just have to admit defeat and redo the whole document manually?
I have Word 2003.

Thanks in advance,
Burrell

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 12:13
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Merge cells Jan 6, 2006

Hello,

Can you tell if this is a table or not? If it is a table, you should try merging the cells. First you have to choose both columns, then go to Table > Merge Cells.

If this doesn't work, you can go to Format > Columns > One and see if that changes the text.

Does the text look like this?

A brown cat and a black fox go to the park.

Or like this?

A brown cat and a Then they left to
black fox go to the park. go shopping.

If it is the second option I think that changing the Trados setting might work better than merging the cells.

You can also change the Trados settings to change the segmentation rules.

To do this go to File > Setup > Segmentation Rules > End of Paragraph. Or maybe another setting might work better for you instead of "full stop" which is the usual setup.

I hope some of this helps.

Patricia

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Segmentation rules Jan 6, 2006

Thanks Patricia!

I changes segmentation rules as you advised and it worked. The text is still broken in parts, not full sentences, but this is a lot better than it was.
Had it been a table, it would not be as bad. First page of this document was a proper table with columns, I did not have any problems with it.

Thanks a lot!
Burrell

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:13
English to Czech
+ ...
OCR Jan 6, 2006

You could probably use OCR. Convert the document to PDF and then use an OCR application to get rid of the columns.

Also, there is a "Text with layout" converter in MS Word. You might try to save your document as text-only and open it with this converter, but I have never used it and I'm not sure if it helps. The converter is available in the "File Type" listbox in the "Open" dialog box (File - Open). If it's not there, you will have to install it.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OCR Jan 6, 2006

Of course, I completely forgot about it!! I still have to join manually all the lines before using Trados, but it will only take me 3 minutes at most.
Thanks a lot, Hynek!

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 13:13
English
Or, remove the columns completely Jan 6, 2006

If it does indeed use Word columns, make a copy if it, then remove the columns. Run that through Trados, then pour it back into a two-column format.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 19:13
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Segment the file appropriately Jan 7, 2006

First make a backup of your TM (g). Then (starting from the original untranslated file. let's call it A)

a) convert the table in A into text, using Tab as the separator (you could use period as well, but that could interfere with your sentences later)
b) define / check segmentation rules in your TM, making sure the Tab character is among segment (file/setup/segmentation rules)
c) once you got as far as the bilingual, finished file, clean it, and convert the text back into a table, if necessary

that should do it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with columns in Word

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search