Sandra Baptista  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:06
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

Dear all,

I need urgent help on how to restore the tool bar and the menus in Word. They were just gone and I don't know why. The only thing I have is the blue bar on the top (I have Word 2000).
Thanks a lot for any help.

Sandra

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:06
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Were you working with Trados? Jan 25, 2006

If yes, a different approach will be needed.

If not, shut down Word. Go to c:\documents and settings\current user\applications\microsoft\templates (I assume you have Windows XP, and "current user" is your login name in Widows) and rename the "Normal.dot" you find there to xnormal.dot. Restart Word - it should be now resetted to factory settings. If you have had any autotextes, macros and so on, use the "Organise" feature to copy them from your previous Normal.dot (now xnormal.dot) to your new Normal.dot. Please refer to Word help how to find and use the "Organise" feature.
Close Word to save the new Normal.dot.

For the future I would advise you to let Word ask you every time before saving Normal.dot. In this way you would only save changes you made not by accident.

HTH
Jerzy

Sandra Baptista  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:06
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 25, 2006

Dear Jerzy,
Thanks a lot for your reply (yes, I was using Trados). I have managed to solve the problem in a different way from the one you have suggested. For anyone you may be interested, it was like that:

1. close down Word.
2. click on the 'Start' button then click on the 'Run' option.
3. type: winword.exe /a then press Enter.
4. click OK to accept your username and initials (or alter them).
5. See Word with menu and toolbars.

Cheers
Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tool bar and menus disappeared from Word

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search