What is wrong with my Outlook Express
Thread poster: Steffen Pollex
Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
English to German
+ ...
Feb 15, 2006

Hello together,

for three days now, EVERYTIME I hit the "Reply"b button in OE, the message opens, and then OE just stops and does not reply anymore. Sometines this happens when just downloding the emails, too.

I have to close the programme through the Task Manager and start anew.

Should I reinstall it and, if yess, will my address bo9ok be emptied during the setup?

Software Windows 2000, OE 6.0, IE 6.0.

TIA
Steffen

Direct link Reply with quote

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:11
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Although I don't have a solution for your specific problem... Feb 15, 2006

if you are going to reinstall OE I recommend you to backup both your address book and emails. The fist step is easily done using the "File/Export/Address book" option, I'd go for the "comma separated values" option and tick on all the fields to avoid missing anything. You can later on import this .csv file using the "File/Import/Other Address book" option, and the format it's handy to keep for your personal record and for backup purposes.

For backing up emails, there are several excellent tools out there, but quickly and dirtily you can save the entire folder where your emails are to another location and use the "File/Import/Messages" later on to retrieve them. To see where this folder is simply access the "Tools/Options/Maintenance/Storage Folder" (I'm backtranslating, so these options can vary slightly). You can find this folder with the window's explorer as long as you can see hidden system files (in the explorer, "Tools/Folder Options/View/Show all hidden files and folders").

But, even if I would backup everything periodically just to be on the safe side, before reinstalling OE check if you don't have any plugins and/or antivirus active that may be causing the problem (do you scan outgoing messages as well as incoming ones?). Try disabling these plugins/antivirus to see if the problem persists.

[Edited at 2006-02-15 17:52]

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:11
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
... Feb 15, 2006

Another thing I just remembered you may loose when reinstalling are Message Rules; I have no idea how to save them manually, but any backup software can save them for you. I personally use Outlook Express Backup Genie, but there are a lot of good tools out there. They offer a fully functional 15 day trial version that you can use.

[Edited at 2006-02-15 17:58]

Timothy Barton
Local time: 06:11
French to English
+ ...
Get Thunderbird Feb 15, 2006

Steffen Pollex wrote:

What is wrong with my Outlook Express?

It's a free program by Microsoft, and just like Internet Explorer, there are far more superior free programs out there. I'd recommend you downloading Thunderbird. You'll be able to import all your messages and all your contacts from Outlook Express.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:11
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Is Thunderbird from Microsoft? Feb 16, 2006

I was also about to recommend Thunderbird. As far as I know, it is from Mozilla, which seems to have some sort of association with Netscape. But who knows who owns what nowadays? You're probably right.

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Funny thing Feb 16, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

I was also about to recommend Thunderbird. As far as I know, it is from Mozilla, which seems to have some sort of association with Netscape. But who knows who owns what nowadays? You're probably right.

I asked myself the same question. Then, I realized that Timothy was actually referring to Outlook Express which, I ckecked, is indeed a free program by Microsoft (what an interesting oxymoron! ).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is wrong with my Outlook Express

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search