United States
Local time: 04:22
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 26, 2006

Hi, all,
That's for Samsung YP-U1 MP3 player...
It's a new toy with CD and everyhing. But when installed from CD, it looks like driver(s) for the player have not been installed and Windows do not "see" the player hooked to USB port.
Manual does not say anything with this regard.

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 05:22
English
Did Windows see it at all? Feb 26, 2006

When you plugged in the player for the very first time, did Windows do ANYTHING at all? Any message, like "new device detected" ... anything at all? Because when a new device is plugged in for the first time, Windows goes and looks for drivers and displays a dialog telling you that it's installing, or at least attempting to install, a driver.

If absolutely nothing happened whatsoever, it's possible you have a hardware problem.

USB products require a certain amount of
... See more
When you plugged in the player for the very first time, did Windows do ANYTHING at all? Any message, like "new device detected" ... anything at all? Because when a new device is plugged in for the first time, Windows goes and looks for drivers and displays a dialog telling you that it's installing, or at least attempting to install, a driver.

If absolutely nothing happened whatsoever, it's possible you have a hardware problem.

USB products require a certain amount of power. Some computers, most often laptops, don't supply enough power for some devices, or don't supply enough if more than one device is plugged in, even if these devices are plugged in to multiple ports.

And of course, bad USB circuits on the player can cause Widows to not detect it.
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nothing at all Feb 26, 2006

I plugged the player and it starts feeding itself power and became charged.

But Windows apparently did not notice it.

At the same time the USB port (i have two) notices (and noticed) my Sony camera just fine.
Can it be Sony thing - as this is a Sony Vaio desktop.

[Edited at 2006-02-26 03:50]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
An idea. Feb 26, 2006

This may sound stupid but, have you tried turning over the plug that connects the cord to the mp3 player? I had the exact same problem with my mp3 player and that solved it.

[Edited at 2006-02-26 05:51]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
there is no cord Feb 26, 2006

Samsung has USB plug and connects directly to my PC's USB.
And the uSB port is working with it as player got itself charged through USB.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Mp3 fora Feb 26, 2006

Vladimir,

You'll have better luck if you post your question in other fora, like an all-Samsung forum. The only one I know is http://dapreview.net/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php You can ask for help to other users.

Good luck,
Claudia

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:22
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
where is your USB port located? Feb 26, 2006

I just bought a Sony MP3 player and the same thing happened to me.
My computer has several USB ports - some on the monitor as well. After switching around I found that it only worked on certain ones and could not be read on others. I am not an expert, don't know if all USB ports have the same output, but obviously they don't. Maybe that could be your problem?

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i will try to look around Feb 26, 2006

Oh, I have two USB ports on the front panel of my pc, but it might have another one on the back - have to check it out as well.
Thank you.

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
what do you expect? Feb 26, 2006

I guess that these MP3 players are, for the computer, nothing more than a pendrive. So if you install it from a CD, windows is not supposed to search for any driver, since it has been installed before pluggin in the device (as advised in many manuals). You plug it to USB only to transfer files from the computer to the device, and the only thing that may happen will be appearance of a new drive in Windows Explorer. Isn't there any new drive?

Piotr

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no drive showing, that's the prob Feb 26, 2006

No, no Removable drive / device showing - nothing at all. When I plug in my camera using its cable - it is always showing removable device (Memory Card).

Evi Wollinger
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
exact same thing Feb 27, 2006

I had the exact same problem - no new drive showing after I installed the CD. Yet the thing charged itself fine.
I just couldn't transfer any files until I moved it to a different port.
Have you tried rebooting the computer with it plugged in?

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 05:22
English
Ports and power Feb 27, 2006

Some computers that have multiple ports have a USB 1.1 low-speed and a 2.0 high-speed port, but all of them are supposed to deliver the same current, and since the player is charging, that indicates it's okay in that respect.

The USB 2.0 specification calls for compatibility between ports: A low-speed device should work on a high-speed port but with no speed increase, and a high-speed device should work on a low-speed port, but slower. However, the spec is not always adhered to, an
... See more
Some computers that have multiple ports have a USB 1.1 low-speed and a 2.0 high-speed port, but all of them are supposed to deliver the same current, and since the player is charging, that indicates it's okay in that respect.

The USB 2.0 specification calls for compatibility between ports: A low-speed device should work on a high-speed port but with no speed increase, and a high-speed device should work on a low-speed port, but slower. However, the spec is not always adhered to, and some high-speed devices won't work on a low-speed port and vice versa. That is usually why one port works when another does not. -OR - the manufacturer is supposed to make it clear that it's a high-speed-only device. (There is not supposed to be any such thing as a low-speed-only device.)
Collapse

Evi Wollinger
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Thaaaats what it is.... Feb 27, 2006

Thank you. I suspected that.
That explaines at least my problem.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, but my Windows do not see the USB-plugged palyer Feb 27, 2006

Yes, Windows do not see the player - I tried turn-off / turn on; changed USB ports - nothing changed.

As Windows do not see it, I can not transform any files into it...
And I could not find any related advise in the player's Manual.

quote]tlmurray wrote:

since the player is charging, that indicates it's okay in that respect.
[/quote]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAUSE and SOLUTION FOUND - hope it helps others Mar 6, 2006

It turned to be a very simple thing...

the MP3 player's USB plug could not go deep enough into the USB port on the front of my pc because of the way the ports were installed..

I brought my desktop together with MP3 to our IT guy in the bank, he, first, checked the MP3 palyer on another pc - player worked just fine. So it should be my pc.

Then he figured it out..
Solution: I have bought a USB cable (5 CAD incl. taxes) and connect my player via the cabl
... See more
It turned to be a very simple thing...

the MP3 player's USB plug could not go deep enough into the USB port on the front of my pc because of the way the ports were installed..

I brought my desktop together with MP3 to our IT guy in the bank, he, first, checked the MP3 palyer on another pc - player worked just fine. So it should be my pc.

Then he figured it out..
Solution: I have bought a USB cable (5 CAD incl. taxes) and connect my player via the cable. It works.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

unable to install MP3 player drivers in WinXP

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »