Thread poster: Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:22
German to English
+ ...
Mar 8, 2006

I have recently installed most of my programs after Windows had to be reinstalled. Today the computer has jammed when I tried to access both Ernst's Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik DEEN and Bibliothek 2 (Langenscheidt Elektotechnik und Elektronik Englisch, Version 2.0). I had just recently installed these via the CD-ROMs.

I wonder if anyone has experienced something similar and can suggest a solution.

Robin

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:22
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Desktop or notebook? Mar 8, 2006

Some possibilities are:[li]
  • Your CDs are damaged or dirty.
  • Your drive is damaged. You could try to clean it, but usually this does not help.
  • When you use notebook, the drive is not pressed properly in its bay.[/li]

OTOH Ernst has problems when used with Windows XP, even setting the compatibility modes does not help in my case. Everytim... See more
  • Some possibilities are:[li]
  • Your drive is damaged. You could try to clean it, but usually this does not help.

OTOH Ernst has problems when used with Windows XP, even setting the compatibility modes does not help in my case. Everytime I close the program it produces an error. But at least I´m able to use it.

IMO the most possible reason is damaged drive. Do you have problems accessing only setup-programs from CD or does it stuck when reading data? When it stucks, I would buy a new one (perhaps a second writer, a fast one for double layer DVDs), as they are really cheap nowadays.

Regards
    Jerzy ▲ Collapse

•  
    Robin Salmon (X)
    Australia
    German to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Some background to the problem Mar 8, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Some possibilities are:[li]

OTOH Ernst has problems when used with Windows XP, even setting the compatibility modes does not help in my case. Everytime I close the program it produces an error. But at least I´m able to use it.

IMO the most possible reason is damaged drive. Do you have problems accessing only setup-programs from CD or does it stuck when reading data? When it stucks, I would buy a new one (perhaps a second writer, a fast one for double layer DVDs), as they are really cheap nowadays.

Regards
    Jerzy

• I have a desktop computer and the programs were already installed from the CDs; by clicking on them in my Start menu, the computer seized up. So there is no problem with the CD drive or with installing programs.

Last week, my computer crashed and the tec had it for two days. He diagnosed the problem as being two separate 256 sticks of RAM being installed previously, instead of one 512 one. He put in a single 512 stick and it worked. He had to reinstall Windows.

Before this reinstall, I have never had any problems with those two programs. It could, of course, happen with programs installed from other CDs - I think that is likely.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Robin

tectranslate ITS GmbH
    tectranslate ITS GmbH
    German
    + ...
    Jam? Mar 8, 2006

What kind of jam are you experiencing exactly, Robin? Does the computer crash to a blue screen or does it reboot automatically? Does it show weird messages? Or is it just getting extremely slow?

I'm asking because there is a common problem that causes Windows PCs to slow down almost to a halt whenever the CD-ROM drive is being accessed. The reason for this would be that the drive is set up to be accessed in the slow and CPU-intensive PIO mode instead of the modern, faster (Ultra-)D
    ... See more
    What kind of jam are you experiencing exactly, Robin? Does the computer crash to a blue screen or does it reboot automatically? Does it show weird messages? Or is it just getting extremely slow?

I'm asking because there is a common problem that causes Windows PCs to slow down almost to a halt whenever the CD-ROM drive is being accessed. The reason for this would be that the drive is set up to be accessed in the slow and CPU-intensive PIO mode instead of the modern, faster (Ultra-)DMA access mode. If all your CD-based applications slow the PC, this could be it, and it's usually relatively easy to fix.

Let us know what exactly goes on with your PC and maybe we can help you a little better.

Regards,
    Benjamin

Edit: I see you have added further info. How long have you waited for the "seizure to pass"?

[Edited at 2006-03-08 13:58]
    Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
    tectranslate ITS GmbH
    German
    + ...
    Clarification Mar 8, 2006

Am I getting this right: You reinstalled Windows, installed the dictionary applications just fine and now you can't launch them?

Jerzy Czopik
    Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2003)
    Polish to German
    + ...
    You did not reinstall those programs after Windows was reinstalled? Mar 8, 2006

And your tec has installed Windows on top of the old installation? And this only because he changed memory?! Never heard about the necessity to reinstall Windows after upgrading memory (done so in my notebook, at least twice, and did not reinstall Windows, but it worked properly all the time) or changing HDD, graphics card and other components. Even changing the processor on the same motherboard should be accepted. Only when you change motherboard a reinstallation might be either absolutely nece... See more
    And your tec has installed Windows on top of the old installation? And this only because he changed memory?! Never heard about the necessity to reinstall Windows after upgrading memory (done so in my notebook, at least twice, and did not reinstall Windows, but it worked properly all the time) or changing HDD, graphics card and other components. Even changing the processor on the same motherboard should be accepted. Only when you change motherboard a reinstallation might be either absolutely necessary or at least very advisable.

To your problem: if the programs were not reinstalled, deinstall them, restart your PC (if you think you are able to, remove their keys from the registry and install them back again. This should usually help.

But nevertheless, if your Windows was simply installed over an old installation, trouble is programed

Regards
    Jerzy
    Collapse

Robin Salmon (X)
    Australia
    German to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Computer hangs and has to be restarted Mar 8, 2006

Thanks for your reply, Benjamin.

When I try to launch the programs from the Start menu, the computer hangs and there is no alternative but to restart it. So clicking on either of these programs means I stop working and then have to reload everything (Trados, Word, Dragon and online dictionaries) to carry on translating. I have to depend on online dictionaries until I can fix the problem.

Robin

tectranslate wrote:

Am I getting this right: You reinstalled Windows, installed the dictionary applications just fine and now you can't launch them?

Robin Salmon (X)
    Australia
    German to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Problem solved - thanks! Mar 9, 2006

Just to clarify, the technician said he had to reformat the hard disk and reinstall Windows, as the machine had been making a loud clicking noise and not starting. (I had found it taking about 5 times to start just before that and I had been getting blue screens, seious errors etc. for a month before and I took it in because it finally wouldn't start any more). Office had been acting in a peculiar manner the day before, as well. He reinstalled Windows, putting all my data in an "Old Files" fold... See more
    Just to clarify, the technician said he had to reformat the hard disk and reinstall Windows, as the machine had been making a loud clicking noise and not starting. (I had found it taking about 5 times to start just before that and I had been getting blue screens, seious errors etc. for a month before and I took it in because it finally wouldn't start any more). Office had been acting in a peculiar manner the day before, as well. He reinstalled Windows, putting all my data in an "Old Files" folder for me. The memory sticks had been installed about a year ago and he thought they had caused the problem.

Anyway, roughly following your advice, Jerzy, I deleted the two offending programs this morning, as soon as I had switched on my computer, and reinstalled them from the CDs. I have used them a lot today and they have opened easily every time.

Thanks for all your thought and help!

Sincerely

Robin

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And your tec has installed Windows on top of the old installation? And this only because he changed memory?! Never heard about the necessity to reinstall Windows after upgrading memory (done so in my notebook, at least twice, and did not reinstall Windows, but it worked properly all the time) or changing HDD, graphics card and other components. Even changing the processor on the same motherboard should be accepted. Only when you change motherboard a reinstallation might be either absolutely necessary or at least very advisable.

To your problem: if the programs were not reinstalled, deinstall them, restart your PC (if you think you are able to, remove their keys from the registry and install them back again. This should usually help.

But nevertheless, if your Windows was simply installed over an old installation, trouble is programed

Regards
    Jerzy
    Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Computer jams when accessing CD-ROM dictionaries

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »