Help needed urgently - Computer does not start and shows a message
Thread poster: Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 00:54
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 20, 2006

I use Windows XP. When I turned off the computer in the afternoon, it gave a message that updates are being installed. It said that so many updates of a total of 35 have been installed and I should not turn off the computer and it will automatically shut down. I waited for almost an hour and the computer said that 20 out of 35 updates have been installed. So, I guessed it would take another hour, whereas I was in a hurry. So I unplugged it.

When now I am unable to start it an
... See more
I use Windows XP. When I turned off the computer in the afternoon, it gave a message that updates are being installed. It said that so many updates of a total of 35 have been installed and I should not turn off the computer and it will automatically shut down. I waited for almost an hour and the computer said that 20 out of 35 updates have been installed. So, I guessed it would take another hour, whereas I was in a hurry. So I unplugged it.

When now I am unable to start it and it is showing the following message:

Explorer.EXE-Unable To Locate Components

This application has failed to start because BROWSEUI.dl was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Could someone guide me how can I re-install the same and get rid of this difficulty. I have an urgent file stored in that computer which I need to send within an hour or so. Therefore, I am looking forward to your advice.

Thanks in anticipation.
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:24
English to Polish
+ ...
Start in last known/good configuration Mar 20, 2006

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852&sd=tech
Perhaps it will help

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 15:24
English
Recovvery disks? Mar 20, 2006

I'm assuming you did not make those "recovery" disks. But, if have someone close by who can make some for you, you can boot from those and get a command line, at least.

Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but.... Mar 20, 2006

I have visited the link and it suggests:

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
1. Start your computer.
2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most rece
... See more
I have visited the link and it suggests:

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
1. Start your computer.
2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

But the problem is I can't see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, I just see the message mentioned by me hereinabove.

Collapse

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:24
English to Russian
Press F8 Mar 20, 2006

Try to press F8 key when the comuter is booting, it can bring up thr Select OS windows for The Last Good Configuration selection.

Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
it sounds like an important executable file Mar 20, 2006

I think you should restart your computer in the safe mode.
Do you have a recent back-up file to use?

[Edited at 2006-03-20 19:32]

[Edited at 2006-03-20 19:32]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Windows must NOT open! Mar 20, 2006

Sanjiv Sadana wrote:

But the problem is I can't see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, I just see the message mentioned by me hereinabove.

Keep your finger on the key in order to be ready as soon as the message shows up (on the upper right side of the screen, at least for me it's there, and there are listened only the keys to be pushed). You really do have only a second or so to push the key BEFORE Windows opens.

I recently had a similar problem and my computer started again after I went back in safe mode to the last known good configuration. I hope it works for you, too:-)

HTH!

[Edited at 2006-03-20 19:39]

[Edited at 2006-03-20 20:54]

Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of your for taking pains to help me but Mar 21, 2006

the problem still persists. I made use of F8 key and succeeded in having the menu for Last Good Configuration. I have tried it and I have also tried Safe Mode but in the last my computer does not start and shows the message mentioned by me in my initial posting. I think I'll have to call a computer Engineer to repair.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:24
English to Russian
Use safe mode Mar 21, 2006

In the menu with boot options try Safe mode, as Rita suggested. You can also start Recovery Console from original Windows XP CD-ROM (press R in the Welcome to Setup window), but better call for service if you never before used Recovery Console

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed urgently - Computer does not start and shows a message

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »