HELP - computer in error mode. How can I get it back to normal?
Thread poster: Puicz (X)
Puicz (X)
Puicz (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
Swedish to English
Apr 11, 2006

Can anyone help with this problem? I posted it some days ago but only got one reply. Additionally, the problem is slightly different in that the “restore system” option I thought I had is not there (message saying that a date to restore the system on is not available).
Problem: When booting up I forgot to connect the skart plug from my monitor and did so as everything was starting up. A friend said I was lucky not to damage my image card. Now I can only use the machine (10 years old, r
... See more
Can anyone help with this problem? I posted it some days ago but only got one reply. Additionally, the problem is slightly different in that the “restore system” option I thought I had is not there (message saying that a date to restore the system on is not available).
Problem: When booting up I forgot to connect the skart plug from my monitor and did so as everything was starting up. A friend said I was lucky not to damage my image card. Now I can only use the machine (10 years old, running Windows Millenium) in error mode. How can I get it back to normal, or is it time to get another computer?
I have tried to get to MSN Computer Central but it seems it’s not available.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Mike

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-04-11 09:02]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Try this Apr 11, 2006

Press F8 during the start, you will (I hope) come in Save mode, then run Scan Disk.

But, if you can, buy a new one!

When business are running OK I prefer to spend the money in my equipment then to make a present to Hacienda

Good machines (and monitor, maybe 2?) and good connections (ADSL, WLAN, Skype, etc.) are very helpful to reduce working time.

Regards

Puicz (X)
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Running Scan Disk Apr 11, 2006

Thanks for the advice Fernando, I'll try that, but as you say, I might be better off getting a new computer!
Mike

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 05:34
English
Doubt you actually hurt anything Apr 11, 2006

In all my years of computing, starting at IBM in 1979, I have never heard of anyone damaging a video card by plugging in a monitor while the power was on. I really doubt that you damaged anything. However, if you did, it would only be the video card, which you can replace very easily for very little money.

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
English to Russian
What is "error mode"? Apr 11, 2006

Is it VGA resolution (640x480x16 colors)?
If so, you can check selected videoadapter and display resolution
I never worked in Win Me...
These instructions are for Win 98
Power on -> F8 -> Save Mode -> Start -> Settings -> Control panel -> Display - >Settings
Check resolution and color mode. If you have VGA driver installed, you should change it for your actual videoadapter
-> Change Display type ->Change -> then select your videoadapter.

Puicz (X)
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback appreciated Apr 11, 2006

Thanks for the feedback you all. I'm taking home a sheaf of notes about System Restore and we'll see what I need to do.
Trouble about posting a solution - the query is way down the line by then. Still, people can check on a resolution of an issue by entering relevant keywords.
Thanks again,
Mike

Maximiliano Jozami (X)
Maximiliano Jozami (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Confusion Apr 12, 2006

Hi, I agree with the comment that suggests it is not possible to damage a computer by connecting the monitor to the video card while running, so that's not the problem. Anyway, you should format the HD and reinstall all the software. It is a brute solution, but it will work, and it is the best I can suggest since the description of the problem is pretty general. Other options: a) hire a technician; b) buy a new PC.
Regards,

Max

Puicz (X)
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Option b Apr 12, 2006

Maximiliano Jozami wrote:

Other options: a) hire a technician; b) buy a new PC.

Hi Max,
I´ve decided on option b! Oddly enough I had it running normally last night having removed the Trados dongle, but this morning, nix. Well, I´ve had ten good years from it!
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP - computer in error mode. How can I get it back to normal?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »