How to convert PDF to Powerpoint and work the text from the ppt file?
Thread poster: filipa ceia

filipa ceia
Local time: 06:08
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 21, 2006

I have a PDF file that needs to be converted to powerpoint.

We shall also be able to work the powerpoint as if the file was an original one - pictures, text, etc.

Can anyone give my a help, PLEAAAAAASSSEEEEE?

Thank you all

Trevor Butcher
Local time: 07:08
English
Are you sure it is possible? Apr 21, 2006

Hi,

Interesting problem. You have not said what kind of programs you have available. Do you have a pdf file editor or just a reader?

I think that you may have a lot of problem, due to the way that Powerpoint divides up the file into slides.

Trevor

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:08
English to German
+ ...
Challenging project Apr 21, 2006

I think that you have accepted a very challenging job. Rebuilding a PowerPoint file from a PDF is definitely time-consuming.

In fact, the only way I can think of is to OCR the whole PDF, and see what part you can reuse (graphics, charts, etc.).

Of course, everything depends on the complexity of the PDF. However, I am pretty sure that you'll end up doing a lot of things manually.

OCR seems to be the best option here, but unfortunately I can't tell you what program you to use.

Good luck.

Sonja

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:08
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don't even try Apr 21, 2006

Out of curiosity, I tried out Sonja Tomaskovic's suggestion.

I first converted a typical fairly straightforward PDF file to RTF (using Scansoft OmniPage 15, an OCR package similar to ABBYY). That was successful, a good result.

But my PowerPoint 2000 would not accept RTF. So I converted the RTF to HTML and loaded that into PowerPoint.

The text and pictures were all on the PowerPoint slide, but the layout was different. Very different. A bit of a mess actually. As Sonja suggests, it would have taken a lot of manual effort to tidy it up and make it look something like the original.

So it can be done, but definitely a challenging project - and you will probably spend more time tidying up than translating.

Gad Harel
Israel
Local time: 08:08
English to German
+ ...
it is possible with Scansoft Pdf professional 3 converter Apr 22, 2006

Hi,

directly you can't do it !

you have to re-convert the Pdf file with Scansoft Pdf professional 3 converter to a basic format rtf or doc
from Word you can export or transfer you text pic's etc. to pps.

it's a lot of work and need a lot of patience

good luck

Gad

tlmurray (X)
Local time: 01:08
English
Why the same look? Apr 22, 2006

I noticed you mentioned the look was far different. Since PowerPoint is made for a totally different purpose, this is expected. Are you really trying to make the RTF look just like the original slides?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert PDF to Powerpoint and work the text from the ppt file?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search