Help in converting .mpg, .avi., .dvx file in DVD format
Thread poster: Michael Deliso
Michael Deliso
Michael Deliso  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:59
Italian to English
+ ...
May 15, 2006

I have several video files I need to move pff the PC because I need to make room on my HD. There are literally hundreds of programs on the web that do that. I have tried avi2dvd and others but I can’t seem to get any results. This is my first time in doing this so I lack know-how. Is anyone that can give me some directions as to how to go about?
They do the conversion but when I burn them on a DVD disc I can’t see them on my DVD player. What I am doing wrong and is there someone that
... See more
I have several video files I need to move pff the PC because I need to make room on my HD. There are literally hundreds of programs on the web that do that. I have tried avi2dvd and others but I can’t seem to get any results. This is my first time in doing this so I lack know-how. Is anyone that can give me some directions as to how to go about?
They do the conversion but when I burn them on a DVD disc I can’t see them on my DVD player. What I am doing wrong and is there someone that can direct me to a site where I can find not only a bona fide program but also detailed info. I tried Nero express Vision but it generates T_S folders with several files but I don’t know what to do.
Thanks for any help
Collapse

laura castori
laura castori  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
try this May 15, 2006

I used TMPGE and virtual dub to make vcd out of divx. I think you can convert 'em into DVD files. You simply have to split the audio from the video (using virtual dub), and then use TMPGE to put 'em together again, you can select what kind of format you want, vcd, svcd, dvd etc...
GL!

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
If you want to save a lot of time May 15, 2006

Buy a DVD Player with DVIX and XVID implemented. There are for less than 40 € in some discounters, so you can put till 6 film into 1 DVD.

Regards

Normally you don't need to convert nothing, just burn it as files!

[Bearbeitet um 2006-05-15 10:10]

Michael Deliso
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried Fernando May 15, 2006

Hi Fernando, thanks for the reply, but I tried to burn them on DVD discs just as they are, but the DVD Player wont' show them.
Many of them are with extensions .mpg and .mpeg. I looked on the Net and I am being suggested to convert them.
Thanks

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
TMPGEnc DVD Author May 15, 2006

I just tried this week-end and it worked just great.
I converted .mpg files to obtain a folder with the DVD typical structure (Audio_TS and Video_TS) that I then copied on DVD with Nero and it worked without problem. The creation of the menu is quite cumbersome, but you can skip it.

here the link to the software editor's site : http://www.pegasys-inc.com/

HTH,
Sylvain
... See more
I just tried this week-end and it worked just great.
I converted .mpg files to obtain a folder with the DVD typical structure (Audio_TS and Video_TS) that I then copied on DVD with Nero and it worked without problem. The creation of the menu is quite cumbersome, but you can skip it.

here the link to the software editor's site : http://www.pegasys-inc.com/

HTH,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2006-05-15 14:18]
Collapse

Michael Deliso
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sylvain, can you please be more specific? May 15, 2006

Thanks for your help. I tried it myself too, and got the two T_S and Video and Audio with several files in them. Now my question is, when I launch Nero to burn the file on a DVD disc, which of thses files I burn? in the T_S folder there are at least 5/6 files (.bup, .IFO, VOB etc). Which do I burn? or does Nero do it all by itself?
As I said, I am new at this and may be asking dumb questions, but better a dumb question than a stupid mistake...
Thanks very much for you taking time to
... See more
Thanks for your help. I tried it myself too, and got the two T_S and Video and Audio with several files in them. Now my question is, when I launch Nero to burn the file on a DVD disc, which of thses files I burn? in the T_S folder there are at least 5/6 files (.bup, .IFO, VOB etc). Which do I burn? or does Nero do it all by itself?
As I said, I am new at this and may be asking dumb questions, but better a dumb question than a stupid mistake...
Thanks very much for you taking time to answer and help
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Has your DVD Player May 15, 2006

Michael Deliso wrote:

Hi Fernando, thanks for the reply, but I tried to burn them on DVD discs just as they are, but the DVD Player wont' show them.
Many of them are with extensions .mpg and .mpeg. I looked on the Net and I am being suggested to convert them.
Thanks

the formats implemented?
Modern DVD Players can play this files too, no need to create a DVD film, just the files as files are enough, no convertions are needed.

Not all Players has this function, but why not 2 Players? there are soooo cheap, I buy one for 30 €! with SD Slot and USB, and play all my films and MP3 files direct from DVDs, USB Sticks or SD cards.
Maybe you will need to transform some of then in DIVX format, for this there are (as usual) a lot of applications I use Dr. Divx, it is very fast.
Actually I have all my films in a external HD (250 GB -> 130 €) and I can connect it to my DVD Player or over S-VHS from my Laptop to the TV.

Think about, to convert 6 (compressed) films to the DVD video format, if everything goes OK (different Audio formats, different measures and image/s) you will need at least 6 DVD and 12 hours (and for sure it will not be OK every film if they comes from different parts).

And you can not use the PC during this!!

Otherwise you will need 1 DVD and 20 minutes! cause you only need to copy the files like they are.

Regards

[Bearbeitet um 2006-05-16 07:31]

Michael Deliso
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Fernando; May 15, 2006

To answer your quesion.
I have a normal DVD player.
Now, allow me to better specify what I meant.
On my HD I have close to 1000 music videos and all have .MPG or .AVI, some have .Divx extension. I can play them with no problems on my PC, now they are about 25 GB and need to free up my HD. So I though I'd convert them in DVD and store them away and play them either on my PC or on my DVD Player.
I tried to convert them but as I said, they are coverted in T_S files. My quest
... See more
To answer your quesion.
I have a normal DVD player.
Now, allow me to better specify what I meant.
On my HD I have close to 1000 music videos and all have .MPG or .AVI, some have .Divx extension. I can play them with no problems on my PC, now they are about 25 GB and need to free up my HD. So I though I'd convert them in DVD and store them away and play them either on my PC or on my DVD Player.
I tried to convert them but as I said, they are coverted in T_S files. My question was. How do I convert them in DVD format and burn them on DVD discs so that I can remove them from my HD?
I don't know about playing MP3 on DVD players.
Thanks and I hope I explained myself correctly. I have never converted or burned or anything else before now.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Easy May 15, 2006

Michael Deliso wrote:

My question was. How do I convert them in DVD format and burn them on DVD discs so that I can remove them from my HD?

Just burn a DVD with this files. There are just files like a Docs or Texts. Simply make a Data DVD with Nero or what else you have.
You don't need to convert anything.
But you can only see this film in a PC or DVD Player as I said before, but to write it into a DVD you don't need to convert it into a DVD video format, just save then as files! that is all.

Better as burning (they get old too) how is with a External HD?

And I repeat, to convert a compressed film to a video DVD format you will need at least 2 hours for each film and they will grow from ~ 700 MB to ~ 5 GB (a 90 min film)

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 18:59
English
Don't confuse the format with the media May 15, 2006

You can make a copy of the files to the DVD, *or* you can "make a DVD". If your DVD player won't play the files, then I wonder if you're confusing the DVD format with the DVD physical media.

What about your computer? Does the computer see your results as a "disc with files on it" or does it see it as a "DVD"?

Michael Deliso
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try Fernando suggestion May 16, 2006

Hy Fernando, I'll try your suggestion of copying them on a DVD disc and see what comes out.
Thanks to all of you l

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help in converting .mpg, .avi., .dvx file in DVD format

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »