Another driver problem
Thread poster: Reed James

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 01:11
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
May 17, 2006

Now that I fixed the USB driver problem, I have another, less pressing driver problem: audio. Is there a way to figure out exactly which driver I need without paying money or employing the "hit and miss" technique?

In the past, I have successfully restored the audio driver by installing a SiS driver. However, I forget which number that would be... Any ideas? Thanks.

Reed

Direct link Reply with quote

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:11
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
driver problems May 17, 2006

Hi,
I, too, have the same problem... and I don't know how to solve this one... Though I know my audio card is CS 4299 (according to the computer guy) and Intel (r) 82801AA AC'97 (according to windows)...
How is it possible to have two different ones??? I always had one... but it's been quite some time now and I'm just searching... and it's a big problem as I also give online classes
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks and regards,
Ritu Bhanot

p.s. why don't these PC guys give you all these drivers when they sell you a PC?

Zoltán Medgyesi
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Driver downloads May 17, 2006

Ritu, try this one:
http://www.cirrus.com/en/software/drivers/audio/PW4031.zip

You can use it for Windows 98SE, Millennium and Win2000.

CS4299 is the sound chip integrated into your computer. The Intel 82801AA chip is an I/O hub, which privodes a connection to the CS4299.

Zoltán Medgyesi
Hungary
English to Hungarian
No info - no driver May 17, 2006

James, without knowing any data about your computer no one can tell you what software you need.

France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
It does not work May 17, 2006

Hi,
Thanks for providing that link... but this one does not work... i.e. all I get are some text files.
I have windows XP home...
Is that the problem?
Ritu

Zoltán Medgyesi
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Next try May 17, 2006

http://www.xp-drivers.com/companies/19/263.htm

Try to download and install "CS4299 AC97 driver" and/or "cs4299 driver". It requires registration.

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 23:11
English
Reed, check your Device Manager May 18, 2006

The Device Manager generally reports the hardware that's detected, then the poor user has to locate it.

Hopefully, the manufacturer (a) develops hardware that reports a name to the OS that's not too cryptic; then (b) follows up by providing clearly labeled drivers on a Web site. If you have a CD and its folders are unclear, you can take shots at choosing folders, and Windows will tell you if the driver's not correct.

Hate to tell you this, but I have steered clear of anything from SiS for years. Trying to match up read-me files that said "THIS MOTHERBOARD YOU WANT IF SIS-456SD SOUND" with a CD of directories with fuzzy names turned me off. But fortunately you can installed third-party hardware and disable the SiS stuff.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the Device Manager May 18, 2006

As already suggested open the Device Manager.
You will see a hardware list with all parts of your computer there. Some of them might be marked with a big yellow question mark.
These are those parts which have no drivers or are somehow disturbed.
By double clicking at such item you can open a window with four tabs - chose the "Driver" one.
Click on "Actualize" (or similar - my Windows is German).
For the connection with Windows Update chose "Yes, only this time" and click "Next".
Select "Auto install software". If this does not help, note the name of the device as shown in the Device Manager, go to Google, put the name as noted into the search field and add "driver". Search for that. You should find a link to some drivers you could download and try.

Regards
Jerzy

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 01:11
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but I'm still not there yet... May 18, 2006

Tim,

Hi. Thanks for the tip. I have been to the Device Manager time and again. When I have no audio driver installed, there appears something that says "Legacy Audio Drivers" or something like that. However, when I click on the properties, it says "Unknown".

I finally coaxed the computer into accepting a SiS driver, but now it appears in the Device Manager with a big exclamation mark. I also get an error message saying "(10) Device cannot start. Am I halfway there? I get the feeling that there is something extra installed that gets in the way...

I would send a screenshot to anyone interested in taking a look.

TIA

Reed

tlmurray wrote:

The Device Manager generally reports the hardware that's detected, then the poor user has to locate it.

Hopefully, the manufacturer (a) develops hardware that reports a name to the OS that's not too cryptic; then (b) follows up by providing clearly labeled drivers on a Web site. If you have a CD and its folders are unclear, you can take shots at choosing folders, and Windows will tell you if the driver's not correct.

Hate to tell you this, but I have steered clear of anything from SiS for years. Trying to match up read-me files that said "THIS MOTHERBOARD YOU WANT IF SIS-456SD SOUND" with a CD of directories with fuzzy names turned me off. But fortunately you can installed third-party hardware and disable the SiS stuff.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Download SiSoft Sandra May 18, 2006

and analyse your system. With this software you will get exact information of what is in your computer

You can get it here

Best
Jerzy

France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Thanks May 20, 2006

Hi,
Thanks the link that you gave worked perfectly...
Regards,
Ritu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another driver problem

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search