Puzzled... and unable to open a simple Word file
Thread poster: Cintia Pecellin

Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:17
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
May 30, 2006

A new client sent me a large Word file (3 MB) early this afternoon. I run it through Panda to make sure it was clean and proceeded to open it... to no avail.

I tried everything I know: try to open it with other programs (you name it, from my Notepad to PDF..., I tried everything!), in another computer, had sent as rtf, made sure it was created in a recent Word version (the client assures is 2000, but the file's properties read ‘Microsoft Word 9.0'...), sent it to a colleague.... nothing will work!!

This is quite a large, interesting and well-paid project coming from a highly respectable client, and I wouldn't want to miss out just because I can’t open the @#!!$~ (read everything but ‘nice’ here) Word file!!

Help, please…

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 21:17
English
What happens when you open it? May 30, 2006

Any error message?

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:17
German to English
+ ...
Yudit May 30, 2006

I suspect the best thing would be to ask the client to re-save the document (if they can still open it themselves), possibly as an earlier version of Word.

Have you tried opening it with OpenOffice ?

As a last resort you might try opening it with Yudit. (I've only ever used it on Linux but believe there is a Windows version.) You could only hope to extract (some of) the text with it, but you might be able to start work with it before you get the original document sorted out.

Your file being 3 MB you would have to wait a while for it to load with whatever you tried to open it with, of course.

Previous experience:

www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=142832

[Edited at 2006-05-30 18:01]

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Did you try 'Open and Repair'? May 30, 2006

You didn't mention what error message you get when trying to open this file (if any message, that is)?

If you get a message about this file is perhaps damaged or something, you should try the option 'Open and Repair' (the arrow to the right of the button 'Open' has this option).

But, if this does do the trick, you must be aware that this might not last forever - so you should immediately hit Ctrl+A and then Copy to make a copy to an rtf file, or better yet - to a Wordpad file!!!

This might loose some of the formatting or embedded pictures in the original, but not necessarily.

You should then be able to translate the document.

Otherwise, the client should fix the document, since something is clearly wrong!
Also, sometimes it helps if the client removes the pictures and/or tables, because most of the time these bits are what's creating this mess in the first place.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-05-30 18:21]

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 23:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
File incomplete? May 30, 2006

Cintia Pecellin wrote:

A new client sent me a large Word file (3 MB) ...

Are you sure a 3 MB file isn't too big to send through your (or your client's) mailbox (max. attachment size)? It would be worth checking that the file is complete, by comparing the filesizes sent by the client and received by you (via File --> Properties, which gives the exact number of bytes , not as shown in Windows Explorer which is always an approximation).

Even if 3 MB does not exceed the mailbox/attachment limits, it is always safer to zip large files, as they are better protected against mishaps in transit.

HTH

PS: Word 2000 = Word 9.0

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Technical considerations May 31, 2006

Regarding your problem everything has been said except that you might try disabling any custom .dot templates & add-ins you have activated in Word and might even try deleting your normal.dot (keep a backup, though!)

If it's a file that has only simple formatting, you might try opening it in Wordpad (Start->Accessories) and copying the contents to a new Word file.

Also, you could try opening it using the free Microsoft Word viewer available at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=95e24c87-8732-48d5-8689-ab826e7b8fdf&displaylang=en
and again, copying the contents to a new Word file.

mediamatrix wrote:

Are you sure a 3 MB file isn't too big to send through your (or your client's) mailbox (max. attachment size)? It would be worth checking that the file is complete...

AFAIK, it's absolutely impossible for an e-mail to appear in your inbox when the attachment is incomplete (trust me, I'm a tech trained in setting up and maintaining SMTP mail servers.) Corrupted, maybe. But incomplete? No.

The message is decoded as a whole, i.e. message body and attachments, by the MUA (e.g. Outlook, Firefox, Notes or whatever you're using) and either both are found to be
intact > message will be displayed or
not intact > message won't even appear in your inbox. That is, of course, if you're not using some piece of untested beta software for your e-mailing.

Even if 3 MB does not exceed the mailbox/attachment limits, it is always safer to zip large files, as they are better protected against mishaps in transit.

Well...not in the sense that data corruption or failed transmission becomes less likely, but at least when the file is unzipped you will receive an error message saying that it is corrupted. So zipping does have its advantages, aside from the obvious, which is size reduction.

Benjamin

Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Finally!!! May 31, 2006

Thank you very much for all your help, and sorry for not answering sooner, but I was trying every single method suggested!

Finally, this morning, I installed XP Professional and managed to open it without any problem... go figure! Then I re-save it and everything runs smoothly on my XP 2000 laptop

Thanks again to all (also to those who so generously offered their busy time to help thru mail too!)

Best from sunny Madrid,
Cintia.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Puzzled... and unable to open a simple Word file

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search