Pegasus mail: looking for users' opinions
Thread poster: xxxIanW
xxxIanW
Local time: 22:17
German to English
+ ...
Jul 4, 2006

Dear all,

I'm am toying with the notion of replacing my Outlook with Pegasus Mail (http://www.pmail.com/), because (a) it is less susceptible to viruses and similar cybernasties and (b) Outlook has too many bugs for my liking.

I used Pegasus Mail many moons ago and loved it, but have no idea what it is like now.

If anyone has experience with Pegasus and has a few minutes to share it with me, I would be very grateful. My computer runs on Windows XP and I have two addresses, one for ProZ and one for work.

Many thanks

Ian

Direct link Reply with quote

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
One thing I didn't like... Jul 4, 2006

I had a hard time getting used to Pegasus. Couldn't figure out all the plugins I needed. I guess those old Microsoft habits die hard!

After hearing about all of the downsides of Outlook (security, etc.) I tried Pegasus last year for a few months and then, to my astonishment and horror, discovered that you can't export your Pegasus data back into Outlook if you want to switch back over.

Just wanted to let you know about that one little glitch in case you find yourself in the same situation after trying Pegasus.

I am sure that other, more savvy P users will be able to fill you in on the greatness of the application

Sara

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
I like it Jul 4, 2006

Hi Ian,

I've used Pegasus (currently I'm on version 4.31) for many moons, too, and am very happy with it.

It has plenty of features, including nifty list management and good help files, and is very easy to back up (just copy the MAIL\ADMIN folder to a safe spot).

FWIW

Giles
PS
I have Pegasus set up to check three of my email addresses simultaneously.

[Edited at 2006-07-04 16:16]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:17
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Question for Giles: how does it cope with emails from ProZ? Jul 4, 2006

Now that ProZ site and emails are in Unicode UTF-8, I would have thought you would need an email client capable of handling that.
I tried Pegasus a few years ago, and at that time it did not have that capability, but it may have changed now.
I use Thunderbird, and am very happy with that. Other free email clients with Unicode UTF-8 capability which I have tried are i-Scribe and Marlin.
URLs for downloads:
Thunderbird: www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
i-Scribe: http://www.memecode.com/scribe.php
Marlin: www.marlin-mail.com/eng/download.php

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Are you speaking Jul 4, 2006

about Outlook Express or about Outlook?

xxxNicolette Ri
French to Dutch
+ ...
I like it too Jul 4, 2006

I use the English version 4.31 on one computer and the French version on the other. I set it up to read two e-mail adresses at the same time (without changing the user interface). Reading more e-mail adresses is possible. For Jack: I have no problems with proz emails, and for Sara, the only plugin I know is the French langage, which should be downloaded after the English version. The program is easy to download and to install. Maybe export to Outlook is complicated, but I never will.
Note: in four years, I never had viruses, although my antivirus is not always up-to-date.

Germany
German to Spanish
Greetings from Jul 4, 2006

Nicolette Richy wrote:

Iin four years, I never had viruses, although my antivirus is not always up-to-date.

Troja

[Bearbeitet am 2006-07-04 19:50]

Marius Reika  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
The Bat! Jul 4, 2006

Ian, try The Bat! It is an excelent e-mail management client, I have never had any problems when using it.

Marius Reika

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Pmail is still the same old Pmail... Jul 5, 2006

Ian Winick wrote:
I used Pegasus Mail many moons ago and loved it, but have no idea what it is like now.

I also used Pmail long ago, but I have followed its "development" and I'm a bit disappointed. It's not very user-friendly (but then, it never was (but then, back in those old days, nothing was)). Give it a try. Then give Thunderbird a try too. Thunderbird has some quirks but generally speaking it's not a bad piece of work. If you want "industrial strength" like Pmail, give Courier or Calypso (from the same company) a try... also not as user-friendly as OE, but somewhat better than Pmail (although it uses a weird mail format).

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
iScribe is nice, but... Jul 5, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

iScribe is nice, but the free version is limited to one account (but since it runs "in isolation", you can actually have multiple instances of it installed, in different folders, and in that way you can use more than one account).

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Answer for Jack Jul 5, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

Now that ProZ site and emails are in Unicode UTF-8, I would have thought you would need an email client capable of handling that.
I tried Pegasus a few years ago, and at that time it did not have that capability, but it may have changed now.
I use Thunderbird, and am very happy with that. Other free email clients with Unicode UTF-8 capability which I have tried are i-Scribe and Marlin.
URLs for downloads:
Thunderbird: www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
Marlin: www.marlin-mail.com/eng/download.php

Hi Jack,

From the Pegasus version 4.31 notes:

Character set handling totally overhauled. Pegasus Mail can now handle mail messages in a much wider range of character sets, including the unicode variants (UTF-8 and UTF-7), Cyrillic variants, and many Asian character sets. The program can now also generate mail in UTF-8 and a much wider range of source character sets as required.

HTH

Giles

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:17
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thank you, Nicolette and Giles Jul 5, 2006

I have downloaded and installed it, discovering its UTF and Cyrillic capabilities in the process. But I'll stick to Thunderbird as my default email client.

[Edited at 2006-07-05 08:27]

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 5, 2006

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Outlook.

And thanks to everyone for the input so far!

[Edited at 2006-07-05 08:33]

Germany
German to Spanish
But Jul 5, 2006

Ian Winick wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Outlook.

And thanks to everyone for the input so far!

[Edited at 2006-07-05 08:33]

Outlook is much more than a e-mail client, I don't know any similar application (well maybe Lotus)
Functions like drag&drop from you e-mail into the calender or Task menu.
All e-mails listed into the contacts.
etc.

Outlook is a great program!

What I do last time is to work with Gmail direct online, all my e-mails are redirectioned to Gmail. I still "organize" all my task with Outlook but normally I work with Gmail, I travel a lot so it is easier I don't need to synchronize both Outlook.

Easy to find everything (Google algorithm) no space limitation and now with calender!

[Editado a las 2006-07-05 10:01]

Alain Dellepiane  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:17
English to Italian
Give it a try. Jul 5, 2006

I've been trying most of the programs you mention and have never been truly satisfied. What was looking for was a fast, solid program with no frills but with enough functions to be usable...

Personally foxmail is my cup of tea now (http://www.google.it/search?&q=foxmail). Oddly enough, it's chinese... Give it a try, it doesn't even require an installation

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pegasus mail: looking for users' opinions

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search