https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/51032-msn_messenger_unable_to_hear_anything.html

MSN Messenger: unable to hear anything!
Thread poster: Débora D'Eramo
Débora D'Eramo
Débora D'Eramo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Jul 10, 2006

Hi everybody!
I wonder if anyone could tell me why I can't hear the sounds for incoming messages or conversations in MSN Messenger 7.5. I have checked the boxes on the tab Tools>Options>Messages in order to be able to hear the sounds but so far I haven't succedeed.
What could possibly be the problem?
Many thanks to you all.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 08:55
German
+ ...
Control Panel settings Jul 10, 2006

I assume you CAN hear other things and it's just the Messenger notification sounds you're misssing.

Assuming this, have you checked the "Sounds" tab in the "Sounds and Audio Devices" control panel applet? (Click Start-Settings-Control Panel to get there. The exact labeling of this option may vary depending on your operating system version and language, of course.)

I don't use Messenger myself, but you can assign sounds to various system events, and afaik also for Messe
... See more
I assume you CAN hear other things and it's just the Messenger notification sounds you're misssing.

Assuming this, have you checked the "Sounds" tab in the "Sounds and Audio Devices" control panel applet? (Click Start-Settings-Control Panel to get there. The exact labeling of this option may vary depending on your operating system version and language, of course.)

I don't use Messenger myself, but you can assign sounds to various system events, and afaik also for Messenger events there. Maybe there are no sounds currently selected...

Check it out and let us know if that helped.

HTH,
Benjamin
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Further checks Jul 10, 2006

Débora Costa de D'Eramo wrote:

I have checked the boxes on the tab Tools>Options>Messages in order to be able to hear the sounds but so far I haven't suceeded.
What could possibly be the problem?
Many thanks to you all.

Hi Débora:

Have you also checked the boxes in Tools>Options>Alerts and sounds? Might also be worth looking at Tools>Audio and video setup.

HTH
Chris

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 08:55
German
+ ...
Did it work? Jul 12, 2006

So, have you been able to figure out a solution yet?

Regards,
Benjamin

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe another way? Jul 12, 2006

tectranslate wrote:

So, have you been able to figure out a solution yet?

Regards,
Benjamin

The gentleman clearly has an enquiring mind, a trait which is to be applauded.

Another thing you could try Débora is to download Skype ( http://www.skype.com/helloagain.html, which I prefer anyway. The sound quality is better and I prefer the interface.

Then you can see whether your stuff works on that. Feel free to use me as guinea pig by pressing the Skype button on my profile page.

Best
Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MSN Messenger: unable to hear anything!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »