Thread poster: Yaotl Altan

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:09
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 15, 2006

Which of the following optins is better to extend the worklife of a laptop battery?

a) continous work connected to power (AC 120V) charging the battery and once it has reached 100%, disconnect AC and use the battery again

b) avoid the use of the battery at home and only use AC.

Thank you in advance, colleagues.

Direct link Reply with quote

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
I think... Aug 15, 2006

...that they put a battery in case the user has no AC power (airplane, beach, etc.)
So, if you have it, use it. Don't use the battery. I always do it like that, but I dunno if battery life is extended that way.

Saludos.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:09
German to Spanish
At home Aug 15, 2006

I take the battery out.

If you run the machine connected to AC Power with the battery "inside", it is still "working" all the time.

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
My 2 cents Aug 15, 2006

I leave the battery always on, even when connected to the mains. This way I am covered against power breaks, which happens quite frequently around here.

Someone also told me that leaving the battery on prevents spikes and tension floats from damaging the hard disk, making it spinning more regularly. Dunno if this is true, however.
Ciao

mrr2ro
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on type of chemistry of Battery Aug 15, 2006

It all depends of the chemistry of the battery.

Nickel metal hydride battery, Nickel cadmium, Lithium Ion?

I am assuming Lithium Ion since they are the most popular batteries in laptops in the last few years.

(In a very quick overview – source from wikki)
Advantages
Li batteries are lighter than equivalents in other chemistries — often much lighter. This is because lithium ions have an extremely high charge density — the highest of all known naturally occurring ions. Li ions are small and mobile, but more readily stored than hydrogen. Thus a battery based on lithium is smaller than one with hydrogen elements, such as nickel metal hydride, and with fewer volatile gases. The ions need fewer storage intermediaries, so more battery weight is usable as charge, instead of overhead.
Li-ion batteries do not suffer from the memory effect. They also have a low self-discharge rate of approximately 5% per month, compared with over 30% per month and 20% per month in nickel metal hydride batteries and nickel cadmium batteries, respectively.

Disadvantages
A unique drawback of the Li-ion battery is that its life span is dependent upon aging from time of manufacturing (shelf life) regardless of whether it was charged, and not just on the number of charge/discharge cycles. This drawback is not widely publicized.
At a 100% charge level, a typical Li-ion laptop battery that's full most of the time at 25 degrees Celsius, will irreversibly lose approximately 20% capacity per year. However a battery stored inside a poorly ventilated laptop, may be subject to a prolonged exposure to much higher temperatures than 25 °C, which will significantly shorten its life. The capacity loss begins from the time the battery was manufactured, and occurs even when the battery is unused. Different storage temperatures produce different loss results: 6% loss at 0 °C, 20% at 25 °C, and 35% at 40 °C. When stored at 40% charge level, these figures are reduced to 2%, 4%, 15% at 0, 25 and 40 degrees Celsius respectively.
You can read all abut batteries here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_metal_hydride_battery
I would store the battery, and use
USE ONLY AC at home, leave at about 40% charge to store, Do not let the battery run out of charge completely.

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
run off AC power, remove battery Aug 16, 2006

I've been translating general audience tech articles for years, and the advice is always 'remove battery and run on AC power as much as possible.' In my own life I don't always find this practical--I have 3 kids, so I often need to bring the laptop around with me and don't have time to bring the power brick with me--but apparantly that's best practice.

Email me privately if you want a copy of some of the articles. (They're from the dpa).

Valery Legotin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:09
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Don't remove the battery! Aug 16, 2006

Don't ever remove the battery while working from AC power! Read the manual first. The reasons for keeping the battery in the compartment are: 1) Switching AC PSUs can be damaged if battery removed because the battery acts like a rectifier filter (capacitor). 2) You won't extend the battery life (Li-ion) if you remove it. 3) The quality of contacts can degrade because of frequent battery removal. 4) You can lose battery calibration parameters and will have to recalibrate it.

Hope this helps
Valery

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:09
English to Spanish
just in case, for those with Dell batteries Aug 16, 2006

Hi

Just seen a piece of news where, for some Dell batteries that turned out defective, it is adviced to remove them when one has the choice of working only from AC.

ES: http://www.elpais.es/articulo/sociedad/Dell/sustituira/millones/baterias/ordenador/riesgo/incendio/elpporsoc/20060816elpepisoc_2/Tes/

EN:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4793143.stm

www.dellbatteryprogram.com (barcodes of defective batteries in the Dell website)

[Edited at 2006-08-16 13:36]

[Edited at 2006-08-16 13:36]

mrr2ro
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is more a myth than fact Aug 17, 2006

Valery Legotin wrote:

Don't ever remove the battery while working from AC power! Read the manual first. The reasons for keeping the battery in the compartment are: 1) Switching AC PSUs can be damaged if battery removed because the battery acts like a rectifier filter (capacitor). 2) You won't extend the battery life (Li-ion) if you remove it. 3) The quality of contacts can degrade because of frequent battery removal. 4) You can lose battery calibration parameters and will have to recalibrate it.

Hope this helps
Valery

A battery is a battery, it is physical/ chemical device that stores electric energy, it is not a rectifier, and it is not a calibrated instrument. It has a useful life span, and then it dies.

The rectifiers are BUILT in the laptop power board itself and the rectification is ONLY necessary for the AC currents – from the power plug – the black box between the power plug and the connector to the laptop –Power Supply--, is where the rectification and stepping down of the voltage takes place. The plug that attached to your laptop is already DC and LOW voltage (9 to 16Volts) depending on your laptop model.

Computers in general work on a TTL voltage levels, they ONLY need +/-5 volts for the embedded electronics (chips) and 12V for physical/mechanical devices. Modern portable devices now work under the 3Volts spec line.

The chances that a laptop can hurt you electronically speaking is if a battery overheats and explodes (Which will not happen if the battery is absent when plugged into the Ac outlet), or if you poke around the display (LCD) backlit lamps that work at a very high voltage but very low currents.

Not form the direct currents and voltages (DC) off a battery.

UNPLUG the battery if you a re ONLY running on AC for long periods of time.

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx Aug 17, 2006

Thank you very much for all your wise advises in the matter, colleagues

I thin I'll leave the batt! No, just kidding. What I read and heard once it' true: I should remove the battery.

Bianca AH  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Removing the battery Aug 18, 2006

I think removing the battery is the best option as using it, then plugging in to charge, unplugging when fully charged to use again until dead, etc. (as has been my approach) does drain the battery. When I first got my laptop (and it's only 2 years old) I could run it off the battery for an hour (sometimes more). Now I'm lucky if I get 35 minutes!

However, there was a time when I would just run it off AC power with the battery removed. But then I found that the empty battery compartment got really dusty and dirty. I was worried about this grit getting into the computer, so I replaced the battery.

So if you decide to remove the battery and keep it for when you really need it, you should find a way of keeping this area clean...

Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:09
Member (2006)
English to French
Battery always on here Aug 22, 2006

If I must use the laptop, then I have to leave the battery on, so as to protect ongoing work against the frequent power breaks we have here. Well now, I don't know why I am still reluctant to using it. I touch it only when I have just finished a job, and am in need relaxation, as if it were a mere toy.

But that is not the topic of this forum

[Edited at 2006-08-22 19:15]

ozzi
German to Italian
+ ...
keep the battery May 8, 2008

I work with Laptops since 1988.
I keep my Laptop / Notebook constanly connected when I am at home. Sometimes for months.
In a company I worked for, the colleagues used to take out the batteries to prolong their life.
So did I.
Then I had the mishap of having power breaks. You newer know when they happen, nor what your PC is doing at that moment. Maybe the result is damage on the harddisk, not to speak of the unsaved Work that you loose.
Now I leave again the battery in it's compartment, it will shurely die sooner or later, but the aim will be to buy a spare battery or two for serious work unplugged, keep them loaded;

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I leave it in May 18, 2008

The expected - probably small - gain in lifespan is offset by the added security in case of power cuts and by the convenience.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Laptop battery

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search