https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/58532-help_me_to_get_rid_of_yahoo_home_page.html

Help me to get rid of yahoo! home page
Thread poster: keshab
keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:03
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 28, 2006

Dear Colleagues,

Recently I upgraded my Windows XP to sp2. I always use Mozilla Firefox browser. At the time of reloading yahoo messenger I forgot to off the checkmark from the menu "make yahoo! my homepage". As the result, my Firefox start page with Google tool bar is lost and main page of yahoo! sustains forever!! I have tried in many way to get back my favorite Mozilla start page but couldn't succeed. I upgraded Mozilla Firefox from version 1.0.7 to 2.0 but could not get rid
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

Recently I upgraded my Windows XP to sp2. I always use Mozilla Firefox browser. At the time of reloading yahoo messenger I forgot to off the checkmark from the menu "make yahoo! my homepage". As the result, my Firefox start page with Google tool bar is lost and main page of yahoo! sustains forever!! I have tried in many way to get back my favorite Mozilla start page but couldn't succeed. I upgraded Mozilla Firefox from version 1.0.7 to 2.0 but could not get rid of yahoo! home page. How can I do that? Please help.
Collapse

Vittorio Preite
Vittorio Preite  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Browser selection Oct 28, 2006

Go to top line of browser and click on Tools.
On the window select General, normally is the first card.
On that card select in the box Initial Page selecct "Blank Page" and OK it at the bottom.
Your browser will a blank page now (I prefer it to be so).

On the same card it should be possible to select another browser page but I have never tried it.

The top line commands and icons are still there, so you can still control all intenet functions but yo
... See more
Go to top line of browser and click on Tools.
On the window select General, normally is the first card.
On that card select in the box Initial Page selecct "Blank Page" and OK it at the bottom.
Your browser will a blank page now (I prefer it to be so).

On the same card it should be possible to select another browser page but I have never tried it.

The top line commands and icons are still there, so you can still control all intenet functions but you have got rid of all annoying banners, flashes, jumping clowns etc.
Vittorio

[Edited at 2006-10-28 17:56]
Collapse

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:33
English to Swedish
+ ...
Also check Oct 28, 2006

the start menu.

You'll find it if you click Start- All programs-Start up. Check if something there points to Yahoo and delete it if it does.

[Edited at 2006-10-28 18:33]

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:33
Portuguese to English
lock your home page Oct 28, 2006

Once you are back to the home page you want (blank page or other) get a program that will lock it to prevent malicious attempts to hijack it. I use a small free proggie called Free Surfer that gives you the option to lock the home page.

There may be better ones but Free Surfer has worked perfectly for me. You won't believe the trouble you get if you visit a malicious site by mistake and it takes over your home page and registry.

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:03
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank You Oct 29, 2006

Thanks friends! specially to Vittorio! I get back my favorite page by clicking tools-options-home page.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:33
German to English
+ ...
Only with Internet Explorer Oct 29, 2006

lexical wrote:
I use a small free proggie called Free Surfer that gives you the option to lock the home page.

I've had a look at the home page of FreeSurfer
http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/
and it looks OK, but note that it works with Internet Explorer only. (I use FireFox, which has its own pop-up blocker, but I don't know whether it has protection against hijacking of the home page.)
Oliver

what i use to destroy yahoo Jul 22, 2011

i just use this

nd_mode="manif";
nd_sound="on";
nd_vAlign="bottom";
nd_hAlign="right";
nd_vMargin="10";
nd_hMargin="10";
nd_target="_blank";

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help me to get rid of yahoo! home page

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »