Where are the bookmarks of Firefox?
Thread poster: Christel Zipfel

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Dec 5, 2006

Does anybody know where Firefox stores its bookmarks? I wanted to make a backup of this folder, one never knows...

In Internet Explorer, you can choose where to save them, but I never found a setting like this in Firefox nor it says where they are currently saved.

I looked through my hard disk but found only old bookmarks (the ones of IE before I migrated to Firefox) and not the newer ones.

Thank you for your help!

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:23
English to German
+ ...
Export them Dec 5, 2006

Just open the bookmark manager (should be something like Bookmarks - Bookmark Manager) and there select File - Export.
Save the export file wherever you wish and import it in the same way when you need it.

I cannot tell you the exact menu names since I use the German version, but it should be similar.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:23
Spanish
+ ...
FF Bookmarks Dec 5, 2006

Hello Christel,

Firefox automatically creates backups all the bookmarks and stores them in a folder of your profile.

The location of this folder in my system is:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(myprofile)\bookmarkbackups

I hope this helps,
Claudia

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Dec 6, 2006

Claudia and Claudia:-)

I found the folder which was not where I supposed it was... I did not know exactly what to look for with the Windows search function: bookmarks? favourites? And then, I have an Italian operating system and the German version of Firefox...:-) That's why I posted this question.
Do I have the possibility to move it from there? I always prefer to store as little data as possible on my drive C:.

Interesting, the backup function of Firefox that you mention, Claudia. Could I simply include this folder in the automatic backup run and always have an up-to-date collection of my bookmarks, just in case?

Thank you again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where are the bookmarks of Firefox?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search