https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/6136-how_can_i_insert_special_characters_at_prozcom.html

How can I insert special characters at ProZ.com?
Thread poster: Marta Goc
Marta Goc
Marta Goc  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:00
Polish to English
+ ...
Nov 5, 2002

Please advise how to insert special characters when typing something in Proz.com (use of accents in foreign languages for example).

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:00
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Just a few tips Nov 5, 2002

Hi Marta,

I just spent some time looking into this a few days ago, here is what I found. There seems to be three ways to accomplish this:

-by purchasing software which supplies the keys you are looking for

-by using \'Alt-Codes\', see the first link

-by enabling your keyboard to be \'bilingual\', go to the second link to read about that. Hope this helps for
... See more
Hi Marta,

I just spent some time looking into this a few days ago, here is what I found. There seems to be three ways to accomplish this:

-by purchasing software which supplies the keys you are looking for

-by using \'Alt-Codes\', see the first link

-by enabling your keyboard to be \'bilingual\', go to the second link to read about that. Hope this helps for a start!

Evi

http://www.coloryourprofyle.com/phade/alt.html

http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/viskeyboard.aspx
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
I am using different type of keybord layout... Nov 5, 2002

for different languages (it is a little software). For PC and Windows users it is basically the same what you use for writing in Word. It generally works, there are some small glitches (you may remember discussion at Polish forum http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=1858&forum=35&38 .

HTH

Magda

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-1
... See more
for different languages (it is a little software). For PC and Windows users it is basically the same what you use for writing in Word. It generally works, there are some small glitches (you may remember discussion at Polish forum http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=1858&forum=35&38 .

HTH

Magda

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-05 22:55 ]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:00
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Set up alternate keyboards Nov 5, 2002

Thanks, Evi, for the link to the Visual Keyboard software. I might try it, but as things are, I manage very well by setting up alternate language keyboards (Settings/Control Panel/Keyboard/Language/Add) and making out sketches of each keyboard on paper, to which I refer when using other than the standard English one.

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
RemoteKeys 8.5 Nov 6, 2002

http://www.freewarehits.de/RemoteKeys.htm

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, Jack is right - this is the easiest way Nov 6, 2002

And it works every time, and in every Windows.

All additional programs are not as good, because they refuse to work with some applications on various Windows systems.

For example, a really good keaboard remapper from GD (www.gdgsystems.com), called KeyGO, does not like to work with Word. You can force it to work with TRANSIT, but it does not want to work with POWERPOINT (all with Windows 200
... See more
And it works every time, and in every Windows.

All additional programs are not as good, because they refuse to work with some applications on various Windows systems.

For example, a really good keaboard remapper from GD (www.gdgsystems.com), called KeyGO, does not like to work with Word. You can force it to work with TRANSIT, but it does not want to work with POWERPOINT (all with Windows 2000 Professional).

Setting keyboards via Control Pannel - Keyboard (as described by Jack) lets you insert any character within Windows (and even in DTP applications, such as QuarkXPress, which is a terrible program for writing Polish...). You get a symbol with a language code on your taskbar, and what you only need is to choose the proper language and to know the keyboard layout for this language.

Jerzy
Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Jack :-) Nov 6, 2002

I\'ve been using Jack\'s way for a very long time... except that the layout of the keyboard is in my head instead of on paper

I do not look at the keyboard when I type... I guess those typing (on typewriters) classes in high school have paid off!

And I love to be able to just switch between the English, French or Spanish keyboard on the fly *if* needed...

Ciao!

Nathalie
<
... See more
I\'ve been using Jack\'s way for a very long time... except that the layout of the keyboard is in my head instead of on paper

I do not look at the keyboard when I type... I guess those typing (on typewriters) classes in high school have paid off!

And I love to be able to just switch between the English, French or Spanish keyboard on the fly *if* needed...

Ciao!

Nathalie

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-06 15:33 ]
Collapse

Vladimir Vaguine
Vladimir Vaguine  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:00
English to Russian
+ ...
A simple pencil may be of use, too Nov 7, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-05 23:00, jdoughty wrote:

I manage very well by... making out sketches of each keyboard on paper, to which I refer when using other than the standard English one.

One more tip. If additional keyboards are not too many, you may write foreign characters with pencil, next to the standard characters printed on the top of the keys, or write them on the front side of the keys. In the last c... See more
Quote:

On 2002-11-05 23:00, jdoughty wrote:

I manage very well by... making out sketches of each keyboard on paper, to which I refer when using other than the standard English one.

One more tip. If additional keyboards are not too many, you may write foreign characters with pencil, next to the standard characters printed on the top of the keys, or write them on the front side of the keys. In the last case, these pencil-written characters will be more protected from being erased.
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Jacqueline Rosa-Kuhn (X)
Jacqueline Rosa-Kuhn (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Setting special characters Aug 19, 2005

Jack Doughty wrote:

Thanks, Evi, for the link to the Visual Keyboard software. I might try it, but as things are, I manage very well by setting up alternate language keyboards (Settings/Control Panel/Keyboard/Language/Add) and making out sketches of each keyboard on paper, to which I refer when using other than the standard English one.

I found your posting in reference to how to insert special characters when typing at ProZ. Once you add the language, what is the next step?, How do I set special characters, so I can use them?

Thanks for your help!

Jacky

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I insert special characters at ProZ.com?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »