Google Desktop vs Deskbar
Thread poster: Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:34
French to English
Jan 2, 2007

I have a new computer. I have downloaded Google Desktop but it does not seem to have the function I had previously on my old computer of being able to hlighlight a term in Word, pressing Ctrl-Alt-G and getting a small box showing examples of the term on the Web.

If I Google "Deskbar" which is what it is called, I just get Google Desktop which I already have.

This is very frustrating as it is such a useful tool.

Can anyone help?

Mary

[Edited at 2007-01-02 15:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
French to English
Press Ctl twice Jan 2, 2007

I'm not sure if this is the answer to your problem, Mary. But if you've got one of the later versions of Google Desktop Search installed, double pressing the Ctrl key will summon up the Google Quick Search Box IN ANY APPLICATION. In my opinion, this is the single most useful little gadget that I have on my computer. It's great for launching programmes too!
Hope this is of some use
Barnaby

United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Double clicking Jan 2, 2007

Yes, I know that, it is also a useful function. It is not as useful to me as what I am referring to though.

Using Ctrl+alt+G you can immediately check to see how a term is used on the Web, saving a lot of time and effort.....

Where has this function gone????

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Google Deskbar is part of Google Desktop Jan 2, 2007

This is what they say on the Google help site.
You find the Google Deskbar in your Google Desktop menu.

http://desktop.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=32490&query=deskbar&topic=&type=

Anyway, I think it a little weird to let Google index my computer, privacy policy or not. :-}

United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not the Deskbar Jan 3, 2007

I now realise this function is not the "Deskbar" - this means the icon at the bottom of the page to search Google.

I still have not tracked down the other function, Ctrl+Alt+G!

Mary

French to English
IntelliWebSearch? Jan 3, 2007

Mary, you wouldn't by any chance be thinking of IntelliWebsearch (forgive me if I'm wrong)?
http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/index.html

But harking back to the Google Quicksearch box, I select the word or phrase I want to investigate, copy it, open the Quicksearch box, paste the text, press "enter" (having quickly checked that the box indicates "Search web" and not a file on your hard disk) and that's it. Personally, I haven't found anything quicker than this.

United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Intelliwebsearch Jan 3, 2007

No Barnaby, I saw that when I searched the technical forum and that is indeed a similar function to the one I am talking about. I can't believe it's not available with Google any more, it saved so much time.

Much quicker than what you describe which is what I am having to do now.

Thanks for your help, maybe I will have to sign up for the Intelliwebsearch.

Mary

French to English
Good luck... Jan 3, 2007

...Mary! Let us know how you get on.
Best
Barnaby

Michael Farrell  Identity Verified

Italian to English
IntelliWebSearch, more flexible Jan 4, 2007

M Lalevee wrote:

Thanks for your help, maybe I will have to sign up for the Intelliwebsearch.

Actually you don't have to sign up for IntelliWebSearch. You just download, install and run. You don't have to tell me who you are if you don't want to.

There are several advantages to using IntelliWebSearch instead of the Google Desktop (or Deskbar) hotkey combination (if you get it to work again). The first two that spring to mind are:

1) IntelliWebSearch is not limited to Google. In fact it is not even limited to search engines. It also works with on-line dictionaries, glossaries and encyclopaedias, including (in no particular order) Acronym Finder, ProZ Web Term Search, Wikipedia, OneLook, Pubmed, Yahoo... and literally hundreds of others.

2) You can preset advanced search options for each (if available). And since you can have up to ten "search configurations" available at any one time (and hundreds more in the archive), you can preset commonly used alternatives to choose from. For example you could set up "Google UK - English language sites only", "Google FR - French language sites only, show 50 results per page" and "Google US - French language sites, PDF files only", associate them with different buttons, and choose the most appropriate when you launch your search.

All this may sound complicated, but it is actually surprisingly simple. In any case it costs nothing to try: IntelliWebSearch is freeware.

http://www.intelliwebsearch.com

Cheers
Mike

[Edited at 2007-01-04 06:06]

[Edited at 2007-01-04 06:13]

United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mike Jan 4, 2007

I will look into that later today.

Mary

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Desktop vs Deskbar

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search