Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 8, 2007

Hi everyone,

I hope this is right topic. The thing is I'm already on my second laptop and, after some time, the left-hand keys stop working as they should. I had a laptop from 2002 until the middle of 2006 and, in the end, I had to plug another keyboard so that I could work (it was something really strange to look at). In the Summer, I was offered my husband's old laptop (which was only 2 years at the time). I was thrilled, anyway. For me it was as it was brand new. Now I'm already
... See more
Hi everyone,

I hope this is right topic. The thing is I'm already on my second laptop and, after some time, the left-hand keys stop working as they should. I had a laptop from 2002 until the middle of 2006 and, in the end, I had to plug another keyboard so that I could work (it was something really strange to look at). In the Summer, I was offered my husband's old laptop (which was only 2 years at the time). I was thrilled, anyway. For me it was as it was brand new. Now I'm already beginning to have the same trouble. I can't use the left Shift key to capitalize. Most of the times, the A, the E, the Z, the "!" don't work (in fact, i'm using in this moment the right Shift key to capitalize).

I'd like to know if anybody else experienced something like this, if they can give some advice or if I'm just a brute who doesn't know how to look after her laptop

Thanks in advance!

Cristina

PS - I don't know if it's relevant but both these laptops are HP.
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:39
Polish to English
+ ...
Why not apply the cheapest and most comfortable solution? Feb 8, 2007

A two-years-old laptop is an old laptop, which means: its mechanical parts - the keys - are most probably worn out.
A laptop keyboard structure is not as strong as that of a separate keybord.
A separate keyboard can be as cheap as approx. USD 5 (in my country). Even a low-end keyboard will be of a pretty good quality. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to buy one.
So, just buy a cheap separate keyboard of your choice, and a separate mouse, too, plug in, and enjoy
... See more
A two-years-old laptop is an old laptop, which means: its mechanical parts - the keys - are most probably worn out.
A laptop keyboard structure is not as strong as that of a separate keybord.
A separate keyboard can be as cheap as approx. USD 5 (in my country). Even a low-end keyboard will be of a pretty good quality. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to buy one.
So, just buy a cheap separate keyboard of your choice, and a separate mouse, too, plug in, and enjoy your laptop as long as the HD keeps revolving. To me, it would be the first-choice solution.
If the look is strange to your eyes, cover the laptop keyboard with a sheet of paper. You'll soon forget that there is something under the sheet.

Best regards

Andrzej
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Keyboard cleaning Feb 8, 2007

Did you ever consider to clean or have cleaned your keyboard?

Of course you cannot simply turnabout it like you could do with a separate one.

You can buy spray cans with compressed air or carry your laptop to the customer service.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Fluff under the keys? Feb 8, 2007

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Did you ever consider to clean or have cleaned your keyboard?

Of course you cannot simply turnabout it like you could do with a separate one.

You can buy spray cans with compressed air or carry your laptop to the customer service.

Yes, it could just be a matter of clearing the keyboard of fluff - it's amazing how much of it gets lodged under the keys. I tried this once using the end of an unfolded paperclip and extracted enough fluff to make half a pullover (not to mention crumbs ... I won't go on). You could also use the end of a nail-file wrapped in a piece of tissue or something. After that, the keyboard worked perfectly again even though it is "old". Now, I clean out the fluff regularly. and the old dear is fine.
Kind regards, Jenny.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Docking stations Feb 8, 2007

Hi Cristina,

I'd follow the advice Jenny and the others have given for when you have to use your laptop as a laptop. However, if you're using it every day, consider buying a "docking station" (as I call them). FNAC stocks them and I think Worten/Vobis do too (in Lisbon). I brought a really nice one at the big FNAC down here in Algarve (made by Port Designs) and I think it cost about EUR 50.

Anyhow it raises your laptop off the desk which helps with cooling, you can adj
... See more
Hi Cristina,

I'd follow the advice Jenny and the others have given for when you have to use your laptop as a laptop. However, if you're using it every day, consider buying a "docking station" (as I call them). FNAC stocks them and I think Worten/Vobis do too (in Lisbon). I brought a really nice one at the big FNAC down here in Algarve (made by Port Designs) and I think it cost about EUR 50.

Anyhow it raises your laptop off the desk which helps with cooling, you can adjust your screen to various levels and attach peripeherals like a printer, keyboard, mouse, etc. In effect, it turns your laptop into a desktop at home. It's far more comfortable working like this for long periods of time.

I just put the dustcover over the laptop keys so they don't distract me. Keeps it cleaner too.

At the rate we pound these keyboards on a daily basis, it will mean you'll get far more time out of your laptop and a keyboard is always cheaper to replace.

Boa sorte!
Debbie

[Edited at 2007-02-08 13:35]
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
So true... Feb 8, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Yes, it could just be a matter of clearing the keyboard of fluff - it's amazing how much of it gets lodged under the keys.

When I had cleaned it the first time (since then, I do it by my own), the guy knew immediately that I have got a cat...

Cristina Pereira
Cristina Pereira  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cleaning! I'll do that Feb 8, 2007

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

I think I'll do some cleaning-up, after all I'm afraid of doing it myself, so I'll look for professional help.
Andrzej and Debbie - thanks so much, but I use my laptop as a laptop (inside home, I mean), so I hope I won't use your solutions until absolutely necessary! But it's something to bear in mind.

And, Jenny and Christel, thank you for your advice. I hope
... See more
Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

I think I'll do some cleaning-up, after all I'm afraid of doing it myself, so I'll look for professional help.
Andrzej and Debbie - thanks so much, but I use my laptop as a laptop (inside home, I mean), so I hope I won't use your solutions until absolutely necessary! But it's something to bear in mind.

And, Jenny and Christel, thank you for your advice. I hope it works. I have a cat, too, and she loves to sit on my laptop. Of course, it's hot... Once she almost sent an email

Best to all of you,

Cristina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with left-hand keys in keyboard

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »