https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/66648-new_office_word_package_installation.html

New Office Word package Installation
Thread poster: Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:17
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 22, 2007

With the new Office package being introduced, is it wise to install the Word 2007 now, considering that the new text format will be, in some cases, unreadable by computers with older packages (.docx instead of .doc). Is my information correct?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My understanding is... Feb 22, 2007

rifkind wrote:
Is it wise to install the Word 2007 now, considering that the new text format will be, in some cases, unreadable by computers with older packages (.docx instead of .doc).

Unless I'm mistaken...

1. You can download a free tool from Microsoft for MS Office XP and 2003 that make it possible to read DOCX documents (not sure if you can save as DOCX also).

2. Usually you can have two versions of MS Office on the same machine, not interfering with each other (not sure if this will be the case with 2007).

3. Version 2007 can save as Word 97/2000 format (the common DOC format, in other words), but I'm not sure if there is the option to make it the default format.

4. OpenOffice.org can't yet open or save DOCX documents, but you can bet it will happen sooner or later, and when it does, you can convert your documents to DOCX without having to purchase MS Office 2007, if a client insists that you send him a DOCX file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Office Word package Installation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »