SciTech
SciTech  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:37
German to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2007

Dear all,

I have to translate a complete website but the client can't provide any files. I am now downloading the website with the tool WINTHTRACK and there seem to be more than 3000 files, some in folders and subfolders. Many seem to be (nearly) identic.
Do I have to translate all these 3000 files? If not, how do I know which?

Please help me!

Thanks

Astrid

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-02 09:16]

Patricia Ramirez
Patricia Ramirez  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 00:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Get clarification from client Mar 1, 2007

Hi Astrid,

I recently had a similar situation translating a website. There were a lot of subfolders and links, and I was not sure if I had to translate them all. I simply contacted the client for clarification on what to do, and he was very helpful providing guidance on what to translate.

Good Luck!

Patricia

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 14:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
Check with client Mar 2, 2007

Hi Astrid,

Like Patricia, I would say you definitely need to establish what you need to translate from your client.

I wonder how you agreed a price and a deadline for delivery with your client without them providing any files and you not knowing what work was involved?

Good luck,
Mark

SciTech
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Mar 2, 2007

Hi Patricia, hi Mark,

thank you for your replys. I will talk to the client again but my impression was that he has no idea, either.

In fact, I haven't agreed a price or deadline yet.

Regards

Astrid

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Ask the webmaster Mar 2, 2007

The website did not come from nowhere.

Maybe the person your are in contact with knows nothing about Internet and HTML and PHP etc.. but then the website is hosted somewhere and the administrator should be able to provide the files.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
No point to download DYNAMIC websites Mar 2, 2007

SciTech wrote:

Dear all,

I have to translate a complete website but the client can't provide any files. I am now downloading the website with the tool WINTHTRACK and there seem to be more than 3000 files, some in folders and subfolders. Many seem to be (nearly) identic.
Do I have to translate all these 3000 files? If not, how do I know which?

Please help me!

Thanks

Astrid

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-02 09:16]

Hi Astrid and all,

The website is most likely dynamic. Ie, the actual content resides in a database that is offline, and then lots of different variants are created ad-hoc by their web server, based on user parameters like cookies, which country you're located in, your browser and language settings etc.

Like others told you, if the file extensions are php, jsp, asp, aspx, this is a clear indication.

That explains why you get zillions of pages with more or less the same content.

You can download a lot of stuff with winHTtrack, but you won't get all the content from the database, because it won't be evoked.

And most importantly, whatever you download and translate will be utterly useless for the client, because he needs to get all those strings back into his database.

The only way to work this out is to explain to the client that his webmaster must make a direct dump or export of the database content. Only that way, the client will avoid the headache of receiving thousands of uselessly replicated html files at the end of the project!

/Jan

SciTech
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I could convince the customer Mar 2, 2007

Dear Jan,

thank you for the explanation which gave me good arguments to convince the customer to ask his webmaster. At the moment I am waiting for the reply.

Thanks again and have a nice week-end!

Astrid

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
a technical issue that has been overseen... Apr 1, 2007

bear in mind that the programm you'll use to download the web _does not map the links_.

That is: it converts all the links to an usable format at your desktop, but you cannot reload them as such to the server.

If you need to translate a website and remap the links, use Webbudget XT instead or any other programm that maps the links. An Im sorry, I only know this one...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a complete website by downloading website with WINTHTRACK

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »