PC freezes when in some websites
Thread poster: Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 1, 2007

Dear all,

I work on a PC. My Operative System is Windows 2000 Professional 5.00.2195, service pack 4. I use Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106. I have a 1MB cable modem connection.

I've been working with this PC for over a year without any problem. Before I went on holidays -in late January- it would work perfectly ok, but since I came back, everyday it crashes when I am in some pages (namely, Yahoo, Yahoo mail, Gmail, Spanish newspaper El Pais and my Spanish bank website)
... See more
Dear all,

I work on a PC. My Operative System is Windows 2000 Professional 5.00.2195, service pack 4. I use Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106. I have a 1MB cable modem connection.

I've been working with this PC for over a year without any problem. Before I went on holidays -in late January- it would work perfectly ok, but since I came back, everyday it crashes when I am in some pages (namely, Yahoo, Yahoo mail, Gmail, Spanish newspaper El Pais and my Spanish bank website). The most annoying thing is that the whole PC freezes, not just Internet Explorer, so the only thing I can do is just restart the system.

Does anybody have an idea about why this can be happening and how to solve it?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Jerónimo
Collapse

rhandler
rhandler  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:35
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
High temperature of your processor Mar 2, 2007

One possibility is that the cooler of your processor is not doing the job entirely, at summertime. Take your machine to the technician and have him observe this aspect.

You may also check the temperature at your processor, right after you restart it. While in the BIOS initial routine, hit DEL (or F2, for some machines) and check hardware characteristics: temperature of the processor is one of them.

I've just had this problem with my machine, and I'm having the process
... See more
One possibility is that the cooler of your processor is not doing the job entirely, at summertime. Take your machine to the technician and have him observe this aspect.

You may also check the temperature at your processor, right after you restart it. While in the BIOS initial routine, hit DEL (or F2, for some machines) and check hardware characteristics: temperature of the processor is one of them.

I've just had this problem with my machine, and I'm having the processor and the motherboard changed. Tomorrow I shall have it back.

Good luck,

rhandler
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:35
English to Swedish
+ ...
Spyware or browser plugins? Mar 2, 2007

Hi all,

If it was a temperature issue, the computer would also crash when doing other "heavy payload" tasks, like opening and manupulating large images.

If the crashes only are triggered by certain websites, it's more likely to be a software issue. Wrong security settings in MSIE, spyware, trojans?!

Boot into safe mode in Windows (holding down F8), and check if the same site still crashes your PC.
Try to set more restrictive settings in IE.
Try
... See more
Hi all,

If it was a temperature issue, the computer would also crash when doing other "heavy payload" tasks, like opening and manupulating large images.

If the crashes only are triggered by certain websites, it's more likely to be a software issue. Wrong security settings in MSIE, spyware, trojans?!

Boot into safe mode in Windows (holding down F8), and check if the same site still crashes your PC.
Try to set more restrictive settings in IE.
Try another browser like Firefox (highly recommended anyway!)

Does the same thing happen?

Download Spybot Search & Destroy (again, highly recommended anyway!) and make a good spring cleaning of all spyware that you might have attracted.

Does the same thing happen?

Download Hijackthis and check if you have any pesky Browser Helper Objects (BHO) that disturb your browser. Certain toolbars an "free plugins" are infamous for this. Disable them in Hijackthis!

After doing all this, if you still have issues, only then I will believe that the temperature is your primary problem.

In that case, download a "stress test" program (there are several) that will benchmark your PC and determin how much payload it can take before overheating.

If it clearly overheats under the stresstest, download Speedfan, which will give you the EXACT running temperatures for the different components (CPU, harddisk etc) - as opposed to the BIOS readings which would typically just meter the temperature at startup.

If the readings are too high, go out and buy a heavy duty heatsink (Ninja, highly recommended!), it will take care of everything and anything temperature related!

Good luck and keep us posted!

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-03-02 11:04]
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 20:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Similar problem after visiting Proz profiles Mar 2, 2007

The same thing happens to me here on Proz.com, every time I visit a user profile.

The problem started when Google maps were added to profiles, and seems to affect PCs running Windows Me (I have one PC with XP, and there's no problem there).

The curious thing is that the PC freezes as much as 20 minutes after I've viewed the profile page - I guess it might be something to do with the RAM not being flushed properly, so the PC runs out of memory and ... panics.

... See more
The same thing happens to me here on Proz.com, every time I visit a user profile.

The problem started when Google maps were added to profiles, and seems to affect PCs running Windows Me (I have one PC with XP, and there's no problem there).

The curious thing is that the PC freezes as much as 20 minutes after I've viewed the profile page - I guess it might be something to do with the RAM not being flushed properly, so the PC runs out of memory and ... panics.

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mozilla Firefox seems to be the solution Mar 5, 2007

Hi again.

I downloaded the anti-spyware suggested and the PC kept freezing. However, I installed Firefox and everything is running smoothly (so far, at least, I'll keep my fingers crossed).

Thanks very much to everybody who offered help.

Kind regards,
Jerónimo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PC freezes when in some websites

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »