How to extract all text from Quark file
Thread poster: Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 28, 2007

I would like to know how easy or how difficult it is to extract all text from a Quark file.

I often translate books and it amazes me how many book production businesses expect their translators to translate from a paper copy. I have done it, but I find it a highly inefficient way of translating.

I would like to hear about ways to extract the text, any software that may help this, and also other translators' views on the matter.

TIA
Saskia

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:14
English to Greek
+ ...
This is what I got... Mar 28, 2007

... when I googled "how to extract text from quark xpress"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how%20to%20extract%20text%20from%20quark%20xpress&btnG=Google%20Search

Maybe there's a solution there for you.

In the versions of quark I have worked with so far (Passport 4.1 and 5), there is no a
... See more
... when I googled "how to extract text from quark xpress"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how%20to%20extract%20text%20from%20quark%20xpress&btnG=Google%20Search

Maybe there's a solution there for you.

In the versions of quark I have worked with so far (Passport 4.1 and 5), there is no automatic way of achieving this. Maybe it is a feature of newer versions

Of course there's always copy paste from Quark to Word, and the solution of opening the file in InDesign to translate with the help of TagEditor

Lina

[Edited at 2007-03-28 09:19]
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
CAT tools support Quark Mar 28, 2007

Saskia Steur wrote:

I would like to know how easy or how difficult it is to extract all text from a Quark file.

I often translate books and it amazes me how many book production businesses expect their translators to translate from a paper copy. I have done it, but I find it a highly inefficient way of translating.

I would like to hear about ways to extract the text, any software that may help this, and also other translators' views on the matter.

TIA
Saskia

Hi Saskia,

Since a few years back, a few CAT tools like Trados support exporting Quark stories.

What makes Quark a pain in the neck is the lack of backward compatibility between the versions. If you get a file from a late version, you might have to convert it backwards in several steps, depending on your tools.

Another drawback is "alphabet dependent versions", ie a Western European release of Quark wouldn't support Arabic, or Hindi, or Chinese etc. Each of these would require separate licenses and installations, which makes it prohibitively expensive to translate between different alphabets, trying to get a decent output.

A third issue used to be Mac/Win conversion glitches, but I believe Quark shaped up in recent versions.

Add to this paranoid license and dongle handling, and a less-than-friendly support department, and it adds up to not my favourite DTP software...

But as a general answer, yes, it can be done.

Search the forum here and you'll get many suggestions how to handle the files. Here's one long thread dealing with recent versions:
http://www.proz.com/post/454848

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-03-28 10:05]

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quarkxpress Mar 28, 2007

Hi Saskia,

Trados 6.5 provides a plug-in called "Story Collector for QuarkXPress" that is installed together with Trados.

You must have Quarkxpress software and the original files. Open the qxd file and you'll see a menu in QuarkXpress that will let you export and import all items. Once you get the exported stories you can translate it with TagEditor or other CAT tool.

You can get more information on the Trados documentation (File Formats Reference Guide).
... See more
Hi Saskia,

Trados 6.5 provides a plug-in called "Story Collector for QuarkXPress" that is installed together with Trados.

You must have Quarkxpress software and the original files. Open the qxd file and you'll see a menu in QuarkXpress that will let you export and import all items. Once you get the exported stories you can translate it with TagEditor or other CAT tool.

You can get more information on the Trados documentation (File Formats Reference Guide).

Best regards,

Oscar Martin
Collapse

Costantino Sbacchi
Costantino Sbacchi  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
copy flow Mar 29, 2007

Hi Saskia, if you're using déjà vu X you can export all stories with copy flow (available at napsys.com, it works as an Xpress extension) by creating xtg files that are easily read by DVX, I work everyday with DTP and pre-press and this procedure just works fine: the pre-press extracts text from Xpress by using copyflow. They create xtg files and I process them with DVX.
Another quick way to do copy and paste on Word is to buy Copy Desk which integrates perfectly into the Xpress workflo
... See more
Hi Saskia, if you're using déjà vu X you can export all stories with copy flow (available at napsys.com, it works as an Xpress extension) by creating xtg files that are easily read by DVX, I work everyday with DTP and pre-press and this procedure just works fine: the pre-press extracts text from Xpress by using copyflow. They create xtg files and I process them with DVX.
Another quick way to do copy and paste on Word is to buy Copy Desk which integrates perfectly into the Xpress workflow but doesn't cost a fortune like Xpress (it's just for editors... like Incopy for Indesign).
Good luck!
Collapse

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Apr 3, 2007

Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure I understand it all, but the problem with book productions is often that each party involved uses his/her preferred software and communication between the people and the software is hardly taking place.

I use Trados, but I do not have Quark or inDesign. It's just that I don't like to be loosing all the digital advantages of word processing and CAT tools whilst slowing down my work proces by using paper copies for my translations.

... See more
Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure I understand it all, but the problem with book productions is often that each party involved uses his/her preferred software and communication between the people and the software is hardly taking place.

I use Trados, but I do not have Quark or inDesign. It's just that I don't like to be loosing all the digital advantages of word processing and CAT tools whilst slowing down my work proces by using paper copies for my translations.

Why strip a fully featured source text of all of its fonts, illustrations, and layout, then have it translated from hard copies and have someone else put all the features back into the translated text. There must be a more efficient version of this proces.

I noticed that TagEditor can handle specifice Quark Exports, but as I don't have that software and as I cannot use that, I can't get the exports done either.

How do other book translators do this, I wonder...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to extract all text from Quark file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »