Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 00:07
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Apr 1, 2007

My mouse sucks. It's Microsoft, cordless, black, nice feel...

But it drives me crazy now and then (more and more often), because it does not react 100%. You know ... when you move it on and on until it falls off the table top - and in the mean time,with you fighting this beast, the jittery cursor on the monitor lands on a place that screws up completely the sentence you've been putting together. I could murder in such moments...

(btw, it helps to put a fresh piece of paper under the mouse - just to indicate the symptoms). I thought I left this kind of ridiculous problems behind when I threw away the wheel mouse (... mice). Unfortunately not...

What's your experience? Your suggestions? Money is no issue - the problem costs me already a fortune in sedatives;P

TiA

Vito

Btw DO NOT suggest a a mouse pad!. I hate mouse pads - it's like being forced to use a walking stick with your two feet strong and sound. 22" mouse pad would come next - to match the new monitor? No way Jose ...

End of rant

[Edited at 2007-04-01 19:20]

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:07
English to French
+ ...
Cordless mice are becoming hard to use Apr 1, 2007

I had the same problem until I found out that there was a huge satellite dish on the roof of my building. It turns out the radio waves were too strong and they interferred with the much more discreet radio waves of my cordless mouse. So, my cordless mouse is somewhere at the bottom of the closet. There's no way I can use it where I am as I can't decide in someone else's stead to remove the dish...

As technology develops, we use more and more radio waves for a myriad of applications. The air is saturated with radio waves! I am afraid the cordless mouse will have had a glorious but brief stay on Earth.

Sorry!

[Edited at 2007-04-01 19:36]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some questions, though... Apr 1, 2007

Is it an optical mouse?
Is the underground single-coloured or does it have any structure, as for example a wooden desk will have?
If it isn't an optical mouse, did you clean up the wheels under the mouse ball?

If it is an optical mouse, don't use it on surfaces with structure or any pattern, as these do strongly disturb the movement fo the cursor.

To avoid interfences with other devices, remove the batteries from the mouse for at least half an hour (better overnight) and reconnect it. In this way the mouse will use another channel, what helps if more mice/keyboards from the same manufacturer are used in a narrow area.

I assume, you have set the cursor movement properly, using the moue attributes in Windows, did you?

Regards
Jerzy

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
New batteries Apr 1, 2007

that helped in my case, when the mouse went wild ...

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Surface Apr 2, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Is it an optical mouse?
Is the underground single-coloured or does it have any structure, as for example a wooden desk will have?

If it is an optical mouse, don't use it on surfaces with structure or any pattern, as these do strongly disturb the movement fo the cursor.

I had the same problem for days until I realized I was using the mouse directly on my wooden desk, and as Jerzy indicated, optical mice don't work properly on surfaces with patterns or multiple colors. The problem went away when I bought a 99 cent single-colored mouse pad. But if money is not an issue and you don't want to use a mouse pad, you can buy a single-colored desk

Happy week
Claudia

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some facts Apr 2, 2007

Hi Victoria, Jerzy, Claudia & Claudia:

i) No I don't think it's some early warning radar or whatever interfering with the band, where my mouse is connecting. Were it so, I would probably bleed out of nose and ears too (g).

ii) it's NOT a wheel mouse - there's a red laser shining out of the underside under an angle (and theres a photodiode or something to catch the movement)

iii) the mouse performs the worst on my beige, polished table top and the best I can do, when it starts to misbehave, is to push a fresh piece of printer paper under its belly.

iv I hate mouse pads. I just keep falling off them. And they're worse than a thin plain piece of printer paper. But I keep falling off a thin plain piece of printer paper too...

smo

[Edited at 2007-04-02 06:08]

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Reflecting table Apr 2, 2007

[quote]Vito Smolej wrote:

iii) the mouse performs the worst on my beige, POLISHED table top and the best I can do, when it starts to misbehave, is to push a fresh piece of printer paper under its belly.

[unquote]

You got it. An optical mouse can't be used on a surface reflecting light since it is confusing the laser.

You have to put something matt.

megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree + ... Apr 2, 2007

1. Yolande is right.

In addition to this...

2. Change the batteries. Just don't think they are new or you just did it. Go, buy new ones, change them, and then see O:-)

3. Try to update the channel the mouse is using. You do not need a killer radar on your head to interfere. Some computers are quite enough themselves. To do this, there must be a "connect" or "channel" button in the receiver, and another in the mouse. Expect to find a very small "button" in that one (even something pretty small and absolutely impossible to click with your finger: use a scissor's tip, but hey (!!): keep calm: do not hurt yourself...). Click the receiver's button first, then the mouse.

If nothing seems to work really well, including Yolande's suggestion, plug in a chord mouse again and see how it behaves. There might be something nasty somewhere else.

Best luck!

Ruth @ MW

BTW: Did you upgrade your mouse drivers when replacing the mouse? Just used the PnP functionalities? If so, and your computer has been running for more than 1 year, I would recommend you tried to get the latest driver, just in case...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need either to change the mouse or scratch the desk surface ... Apr 2, 2007

to make it matt. An optical mouse cannot work on reflecting surface, as Yolande clearly stated above.
You might also switch to a track ball instead of a mouse.

Still, what I do not understand, is why do you fall down from a mouse pad? If the mouse movements are properly adjusted in Windows, the mouse does not need to be moved that far, so you will not fall down the pad anymore (or at least not that often). Please check the settings for your mose. Is the acceleration switched on? If yes, maybe you should increase it. If no, switch it on. Make the cursor movement faster, switch cursor auto-positioning on...

As a last ressort: buy a wheel mouse...

Jerzy

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Game! Apr 2, 2007

There is a group of users who demand nothing but absolute precision and accuracy from their mice. These are, of course, gamers. Therefore, if you want top mouse performance, just search for "gaming mice". There are too many models to recommend one, but the reviews should give you an idea of what your requirements should be.

For starters, you might look into laser mice - they are more precise and responsive than IR optical models. I personally use Logitech MX400, however, you might not like this particular model, as it is wired (I don't mind, as I am not going anywhere with my desk). I am quite happy with it, as it allows me to work comfortably, as well as score a few headshots for a good measure

[Zmieniono o 2007-04-02 10:07]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh me oh my ... Apr 2, 2007

a) I am using a matt surface all the time (the table top is just the negative check now and then) - what I run the mouse on, is my a0-size calender, sourced from Carl Zeiss ("we make it visible") and it's just not "matt" enough (for 69 euro I paid for the mouse).

b) There's Logitech mice in the next price range I may have to consider.

c) gaming mice? Hm... Im just afraid they're i) the same as b and ii) they need (argh) mouse pad.

Maybe I need another table top (g).

Can we stop here? Pls? Ill report how my mice are behaving in due time.

smo

[Edited at 2007-04-02 17:27]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
But this may be your trouble... Apr 2, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

a) I am using a matt surface all the time (the table top is just the negative check now and then) - what I run the mouse on, is my a0-size calender, sourced from Carl Zeiss ("we make it visible") and it's just not "matt" enough (for 69 euro I paid for the mouse).

b) There's Logitech mice in the next price range I may have to consider.

c) gaming mice? Hm... Im just afraid they're i) the same as b and ii) they need (argh) mouse pad.

Maybe I need another table top (g).

Can we stop here? Pls? Ill report how my mice are behaving in due time.

smo

Your calender has surely lines and numbers on it, doesn't it?
If so, then this is what causes your mouse behave so stupid
You may not have any pattern on the surface, where you move your optical mouse.

Jerzy

laseray
English to French
+ ...
The actual mouse problem could be... Apr 4, 2007

Hi,

I think I might shed some light on your problem.

Someone I know recently got a new iMac and it came with their standard USB mouse. I tried it out with a number of different mouse pads and some of them really make it difficult to use.

The reason: the light that shines from the bottom of the mouse needs to be reflected back to a light detector (probably a photodiode) that is also built into it. The amount of light coming back affects how motion is interpreted. Look closely at the bottom of the mouse. When it is on the light source is projected downwards at an angle. The photodiode (it looks like a small clear colored lense) is pointing straight down towards where that light will be on your mousepad. If the surface that you use for a mousepad reflects too much light or scatters it so that it is not concentrated enough at the point the photodiode is looking your mouse "performance" will be degraded.

Using a fabric mouse pad is your best bet, nothing shiny or plastic.

Does that help?

Raymond

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT and mouse Spiel

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search