https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/77576-handling_pdf_files.html

Handling PDF files
Thread poster: aruna yallapragada
aruna yallapragada
aruna yallapragada  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
German to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2007

I find it difficult handling documents that have been scanned

as images. What is the best / fastest / easisest way to

convert them into editable word files? Is there any software

that does this conversion?

Andrej
Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
Member (2005)
German to Russian
+ ...
- Jul 7, 2007

ABBY Finereader

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:59
English to Latvian
... Jul 7, 2007

I believe this topic has been discussed here many many times. Please try to search the forums.

aruna yallapragada
aruna yallapragada  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jul 7, 2007

Thank you. I did go through the forum. But it was not of
much help. I do have ABBY Finereader. Maybe I just don't knoiw how to go about it. I will try again.

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 06:59
English to German
+ ...
Omnipage15 Jul 7, 2007

I got a scanned in document just yesterday and Omnipage did a pretty good job.

It still leaves me with text boxes, but as long as I can trados inside these, I don't mind.

Aruna, you need to fiddle around with this progam and try various ways till you get the required results.

So don't give up on ABBYY Finereader too easily. I don't know it, but many translators say, it's a good program.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
a possible work around Jul 7, 2007

Halo!
Convert images using acrobat reader 8.0, take a print, rescan and then do the OCR. The editing time involved is lot lesser and you get more clear processable output. Well this applies only if the source file is a picture like a printed brochure converted into an image using scanning process. Such images cannot be effectively OCRed with any known OCR software effectively, there is still much manual editing work involved before getting a satisfactorily processable file in word. Brandi
... See more
Halo!
Convert images using acrobat reader 8.0, take a print, rescan and then do the OCR. The editing time involved is lot lesser and you get more clear processable output. Well this applies only if the source file is a picture like a printed brochure converted into an image using scanning process. Such images cannot be effectively OCRed with any known OCR software effectively, there is still much manual editing work involved before getting a satisfactorily processable file in word. Brandis

[Edited at 2007-07-07 16:15]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Brandis, I disagree with your suggestion Jul 7, 2007

Images are opened directly in ABBY Finereader and converted to the text. Why on earth converting, printing, rescanning?

VIBOL KEO
VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:59
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
PDF, Scanned, and Conversion?! Jul 9, 2007

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Trying TextBridge and/or pdf2word softwares may be helful.

Good Luck!

Vibol Keo

[Edited at 2007-07-09 11:50]

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Anything better than Abbyy? Sep 19, 2007

Can anyone suggest better solution than Abbyy? I'm using it for quite some time now, but it gave me headache more than once. For examaple, if I have tables with pictures inside, I find it impossible to have the correct output directly. Drawing a picture block inside table block never produces picture in the output. Usually I have to first convert table without picture, then picture without table, then insert picture into document with the table. When I have a small document that's just a minor t... See more
Can anyone suggest better solution than Abbyy? I'm using it for quite some time now, but it gave me headache more than once. For examaple, if I have tables with pictures inside, I find it impossible to have the correct output directly. Drawing a picture block inside table block never produces picture in the output. Usually I have to first convert table without picture, then picture without table, then insert picture into document with the table. When I have a small document that's just a minor thing, but recently I had two pdf files with totally around 700 pages, so it was nigthmare now and again. Also if the text blocks are too big, sometimes bullets and such things disappear from the output, though they were displayed correctly in the text window. Messed up fonts and strange tabulations too are also a bother.
However, I haven't found better option yet, those smaller convertors are completely useless most of the time, and Omnipage didn't give me enough editing options. Abbyy's result I can at least correct manually.
Collapse

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on what you want.... Sep 22, 2007

Abby Finereader is a mess to use, but is invaluable if the PDF text has been scanned or faxed and is therefore stored within the PDF as an image, due to its built-in OCR.

Alternatively, if the PDF text is actually stored as text (you can check by trying to select the text in the PDF file), a much better conversion tool is Solid Converter (http://www.solidpdf.com/). It is not very expensive in its
... See more
Abby Finereader is a mess to use, but is invaluable if the PDF text has been scanned or faxed and is therefore stored within the PDF as an image, due to its built-in OCR.

Alternatively, if the PDF text is actually stored as text (you can check by trying to select the text in the PDF file), a much better conversion tool is Solid Converter (http://www.solidpdf.com/). It is not very expensive in its standard version and works like a breeze, maintaining the layout much better than Abby Finereader once you know how it works. It does not convert text stored as an image to text, however. Dowload a trial version from their web site and test it yourself.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handling PDF files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »