The perfect PC for the translator\'s work.
Thread poster: Alexander Nikolov
Alexander Nikolov
Alexander Nikolov
Local time: 08:57
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 1, 2003

Weel like an expert all I can say is to avoid other sistems like Mak, and old PC\'s, they are useles, and very often cause hardware problems, like Hard Disk, falure. In this cases you\'ll luse all of your fails ( if you don\'t have any backup ).

A good pertable Computer PIII - 500 or more, wuth 250 Mb of Ram or more will serve you very well.

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
A Revelation Feb 1, 2003

I used to be of the opinion that laptops were only for sales reps who wanted to look impressive in front of their clients.

How wrong I was.

Because we plan to be moving around Europe in the next few months, I looked for an alternative to half filling up our car with computer gear. A found a laptop that more than fitted the bill.

A unit that is well.......the size of a laptop has:

CPU Intel P4 2.80 GHz

... See more
I used to be of the opinion that laptops were only for sales reps who wanted to look impressive in front of their clients.

How wrong I was.

Because we plan to be moving around Europe in the next few months, I looked for an alternative to half filling up our car with computer gear. A found a laptop that more than fitted the bill.

A unit that is well.......the size of a laptop has:

CPU Intel P4 2.80 GHz

Motherboard NB Mobo

Memory 512 MB DDR PC2100 (max. 1 GB)

Hard Drive 40Gb Hitachi DK23DA_40

CD Drive QSI SBW-161 DVD/CDRW combination drive (internal)

Floppy Drive 3.5\" internal

Screen 15.1\" TFT (Native Res.1024x76

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce4 420 (32M) 32Mb + TV Out

Sound Card SiS 7012 audio

Speaker Stereo Internal

PCMCIA Slots 1X Type I / II CardBus

LAN SiS 900 PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet

Modem SmartLink 56K modem

Battery Info Lite-On PA-1900-05 / Li-Ion

IEEE 1394 Yes

IR Port IrDA Fast Infrared Port

Ports 1 x Parallel

1 x IEEE 1394

1 x P/S 2

1 x VGA out

2 x USB

1 x S-video

1 x Microphone

1 x Line Out

1 x Kensington lock

It\'s performance leaves my office PC standing!

I wouldn\'t hesitate to recommend it to people on the move, or who would like to be.

Collapse

Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Local time: 02:57
English
+ ...
Don't ditch Macs! Feb 1, 2003

If one doesn\'t know how to use Mac computers, it does not mean that they are bad computers and in all the time that I\'ve had I never had any problems. PC, however, is a constant pain in the ... On top of that, it doesn\'t really matter what you use - I have one computer with XP on it and the other with Win98; still I end up using my Mac with MacOSX.

My request is that people don\'t talk about what they don\'t know!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Perhaps OSX Feb 2, 2003

but an iMac with OS 9 is not my favourite.

I use PCs with Win 2k and XP, and both are miles away (in forefront) from this little Mac with its very primitive OS. Maybe, years ago, Macs have had a very promising and outstanding OS, as PCs were learing what GUI is. But as for today, a good configured PC is at least as good as a Mac - and does not cost a fortune...

Just my 2 cents

Jerzy

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 14:57
English
+ ...
Specifics of the French Market Feb 6, 2003

PC clones are best for most corporate clients however MacIntosh prevails in advertising agencies, PR consultancies and certain publishers. Identify what your client base is using before making a choice.

Henry Vaughan
Henry Vaughan  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Macs are a good option Feb 6, 2003

I have been using Apple Macintosh computers for some years now with very few problems. Office for Mac is absolutely compatible, macs can read PC discs and files. Macs are much easier to configure and more pleasant to use. The only thing I use my PC for is Trados, everything else can be done on a Mac also with their new price cuts they are only slightly more expensive than equivalent brand name PCs but the build quality and design are superior. I agree that OSX is still a little green, but I have... See more
I have been using Apple Macintosh computers for some years now with very few problems. Office for Mac is absolutely compatible, macs can read PC discs and files. Macs are much easier to configure and more pleasant to use. The only thing I use my PC for is Trados, everything else can be done on a Mac also with their new price cuts they are only slightly more expensive than equivalent brand name PCs but the build quality and design are superior. I agree that OSX is still a little green, but I have been working on OSX exclusively for the last month with very few hitches.Collapse

Henry Vaughan
Henry Vaughan  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Macs are OK Feb 6, 2003

I have been using Apple Macs for my whole computing life and find them ideal, they are easier to configure, much easier to fix when something goes wrong, very few viruses affect them, they can read PC formatted discs and PC files. Office for Mac is absolutely cross-platform. I find the Mac OS much more pleasant and friendly to use. I agree that the new OSX is a little green at the moment, but I have found it useable. The only thing I need a PC for is Trados, everything else I can get done on my... See more
I have been using Apple Macs for my whole computing life and find them ideal, they are easier to configure, much easier to fix when something goes wrong, very few viruses affect them, they can read PC formatted discs and PC files. Office for Mac is absolutely cross-platform. I find the Mac OS much more pleasant and friendly to use. I agree that the new OSX is a little green at the moment, but I have found it useable. The only thing I need a PC for is Trados, everything else I can get done on my Mac. Also with the new price cuts they are only slightly more expensive than equivalent brand-name PCs but much more stylish and better built.Collapse

Eva Obregon
Eva Obregon  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do you really need a PC for TRADOS or can you run it on the new Core 2 Duo Intel MACs? Feb 16, 2008

Henry Vaughan wrote:

The only thing I need a PC for is Trados, everything else I can get done on my Mac.

I too am a life-long Mac lover... but, I'm thinking of upgrading my equipment and I'm a little hesitant to buy another Mac in case I ever do decide to invest in TRADOS... Does anyone out there have experience using TRADOS on the new Intel Macs??? Does it actually work?

Thanks for your input.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The perfect PC for the translator\'s work.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »