United States
Local time: 10:05
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Shortcuts + batch file Sep 10, 2007

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

GoodWords wrote:

There is probably a smarter, more sophisticated way to do this, but it occurs to me you could make a temporary folder and place in it a shortcut for each of the items you need.

Well, this would not help much as I would still need to click on every shortcut to force it open. (And there would be a lot.)

Creating the shortcuts is a first step, after which, to really automate the launching of all these references, you should store all these shortcuts in the same folders, and create a simple batch file to open all the shortcuts.

By double clicking on the batch file, you would then open all of the desired references.

Say, for example, that your references are two files:

An Excel file glossary (MachineToolGlossary.xls), and a Word file with the previous translation (PreviousMachineToolTranslation.doc).

1. On your desktop, create a new folder, and call it "Reference shortcuts"
  2. Go to the location of the Excel file glossary, create a shortcut to that file, cut the shortcut and paste it in the "Reference shortcuts" folder
  3. Go to the location of the Word file, create a shortcut to that file, cut the shortcut and paste it in the "Reference shortcuts" folder
  4. Once you have all your shortcuts in the "Reference shortcuts" folder, Create the batch file:
  5. Using Notepad (or another simple text editor), open a new, empty, text file.
  6. In this text file, write a line for each shortcut with the full path to said shortcut. For example, if I were to do this on my system, the text file would contain the following two lines:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Riccardo Schiaffino\Reference Shortcuts\MachineToolGlossary.xls.lnk"
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Riccardo Schiaffino\Reference Shortcuts\PreviousMachineToolTranslation.doc.lnk"

(Note: these are two lines only - they may appear as more, because the browser is wrapping them.)

Each line should be surrounded by double quotes ("C:\Docum[...]Glossary.xls.lnk"), and terminated with a hard return (i.e., when you write them, hit Enter at the end of each line.)

Note the extension ".lnk" after the name of the files: this is to indicate that this is a shortcut.

7. Once you have completed writing the batch file, save it with a name, and the extension ".CMD": this tells Windows that this is a batch file (a file that contains commands to be launched). For example, save the batch file as "REFERENCE.CMD"

8. Now, if you double click on "REFERENCE.CMD", all the files will be openend, in succession, just as if you had clicked on each of them manually.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:05
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The list of the necessary files may change every day Sep 11, 2007

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Creating the shortcuts is a first step, after which, to really automate the launching of all these references, you should store all these shortcuts in the same folders, and create a simple batch file to open all the shortcuts.

Thank you for your suggestion and detailed explanation.
However, it does not help me for the same reason why Sam's suggestion would not work for me.
This is what I replied to Sam:

Sam: Yes, I will remember your suggestion about AutoHotKey, but in this case it would not help me much as the files I need to work with may change day by day. So I would need to modify the script according to that, and it would not be very effective timewise.

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:05
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Well, I've used "hibernate" for years... Sep 16, 2007

... and also with my previous laptop, which was a Toshiba, and I did NOT have problems with it. But as an alternative, as already suggested, try the "suspend" function, it works also like magic & there's no overheating problem.

However, regarding both hibernation/sleep, I have a word of caution: Make sure that you SAVE all documents before hibernating/suspending the equipment- Though it works like a charm, the memory may be sometimes corrupted, and you could loose the work - I found
... See more
... and also with my previous laptop, which was a Toshiba, and I did NOT have problems with it. But as an alternative, as already suggested, try the "suspend" function, it works also like magic & there's no overheating problem.

However, regarding both hibernation/sleep, I have a word of caution: Make sure that you SAVE all documents before hibernating/suspending the equipment- Though it works like a charm, the memory may be sometimes corrupted, and you could loose the work - I found out the hard way.

Similarly, if you "shut down" by hibernating as a standard (like I usually do) then it is advisable to restart the computer every five-six "awakenings", so as to make sure that it has not reached an inconsistent state or has clogged the memory, which strains even more the computer as it forces more access to the hard disk.

It is also advisable if you work the whole day in Word on a same project to close Word (and also Trados, if you use that) at least once, so as to recover from memory leaks. I also learned that the hard way.

Finally, regarding the overheating, I would suggest that you put your laptop on a computer stand so that it is ventilated from below. There are some very cheap ones around, even with forced ventilation. I bought one myself because here in Spain in the summer (with 40ºC) the computer got so hot after working for many hours that it simply switched off, and all the work was lost...

P.D. Regarding the need to have so many reference files open, try using the free Apsic Workbench (http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html) to load there all the TMs in one single location... it works like a charm, and you can search not only for complete sentences but even for single words... and it allows a lot of different format files from Trados, Wordfast, Transit, etc. Put all the reference material in one single place and with one click you get it...

[Editado a las 2007-09-16 17:22]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a way to make my PC "remember" open apps and files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »