https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/84232-help_computer_switched_off_on_its_own.html

Help: Computer switched off on its own
Thread poster: Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Sep 19, 2007

Hi,

I don't know what's going on but a little while ago my computer switched off on its own. And I was actually working!!! So it didn't go to sleep because it was idle for too long. This has never happened before.

Also, every time I shut-down the computer it shows that there is some file that is missing and this has been happening since day before yesterday, i.e. the day when I renewed and upgraded my Norton Antivirus to Norton Internet Security.

And whe
... See more
Hi,

I don't know what's going on but a little while ago my computer switched off on its own. And I was actually working!!! So it didn't go to sleep because it was idle for too long. This has never happened before.

Also, every time I shut-down the computer it shows that there is some file that is missing and this has been happening since day before yesterday, i.e. the day when I renewed and upgraded my Norton Antivirus to Norton Internet Security.

And when I checked Norton history today, it showed that someone had tried to get to my computer several times in past one and a half hours. The attempts were blocked but... I'm just wondering as to what's going on.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Ritu
Collapse

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:41
German to English
How did it switch off? Sep 19, 2007

Did it close down properly or just suddenly go dead? (Was it working slowly before? Is it a laptop that might have overheated?)
Have you tried putting the name of the missing file (or the message that comes up) into Google, to see if others have had the same problem?

Ritu Bhanot
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HP Laptop Sep 19, 2007

Yes, it's a laptop. But it didn't seem as if it had overheated. And no it was not slow.

Regarding the missing file the message pops up just when I'm closing down and it doesn't stay long enough on the screen... no time to note it down.

But it's an idea... I'll just try to shut down a few times and then I guess, I'll be able to note the name...

Thanks.

Ritu

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Event Viewer? Sep 19, 2007

You can check the event viewer for possible information (on Windows XP go to Control Panel -- Admin Tools -- Event Viewer), under System or apllication.
Of course, if you can write down the message it would be helpful.

Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Use a digital camera Sep 19, 2007

Hello Ritu,

ever since I own a digital camera I keep using it for whenever screenshots are not possible. If you don't own one, try to borrow one from a friend/colleague and then simply take a picture of the message (without flash though). Then, you can search for that particular message in Internet and possibly combine it with 'Norton' as a keyword. I am convinced that you are not the only one experiencing those problems subsequent to an upgrade ...

It is very likely th
... See more
Hello Ritu,

ever since I own a digital camera I keep using it for whenever screenshots are not possible. If you don't own one, try to borrow one from a friend/colleague and then simply take a picture of the message (without flash though). Then, you can search for that particular message in Internet and possibly combine it with 'Norton' as a keyword. I am convinced that you are not the only one experiencing those problems subsequent to an upgrade ...

It is very likely that you might have been 'under attack' from the outside, so you should really investigate that issue and make sure your machine and - above all - your data is safe. Also, you might want to do file cleaning, defrag, then a general backup of all your data on the machine while NOT connected to the Internet.

BTW, of course I also use my camera for taking REAL pictures - but many times it came in very handy outside the purely artistic field for a variety of reasons.

Good luck!
Collapse

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
overheating laptop Sep 19, 2007

It's just an idea, as mine started doing that (turning off as I typed) and it turned out to be overheating - just feel underneath the laptop where the processor is and if it burns your fingers, it's that! I bought a fan and it stopped doing it. I did notice that it tended to slow down a bit before switching off, though, so if your hasn't been doing that it's probably something else.

Ritu Bhanot
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Overheating Laptop Sep 19, 2007

I guess it has to be Anne's reply. But I don't know.

Regarding the error message, it says that there's some application file 0x00000'e of 0x00644858 that is missing.

No idea what it means.

Search on google didn't give any results.

I guess, all I can do is just hope that everything is ok.

[Edited at 2007-09-19 15:27]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:41
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Blue screen of death Sep 19, 2007

It's probably blue-screening for some reason (overheating seems the most likely cause in a laptop) and the laptop restarts itself. If you want to stop the laptop from restarting automatically, (in Windows XP) right click on 'My Computer', select 'Properties' > 'Advanced' > Startup and Recovery > Settings and remove the check sign from the 'Automatically Restart' checkbox. If it blue-screens again, you will be able to read the message.

[Edited at 2007-09-19 16:18]

Spain
English to German
+ ...
Probably NIS itself causes the problem Sep 19, 2007

Hello Ritu,

I searched a bit in forums and found out that the problems you are experiencing are apparently quite common. You did not specify from which Norton Antivirus version you upgraded to which Norton Internet Security version on which OS platform but I doubt that overheating is the problem here. Rather, the issue seems to be that the bloated NIS itself is causing the problem:... See more
Hello Ritu,

I searched a bit in forums and found out that the problems you are experiencing are apparently quite common. You did not specify from which Norton Antivirus version you upgraded to which Norton Internet Security version on which OS platform but I doubt that overheating is the problem here. Rather, the issue seems to be that the bloated NIS itself is causing the problem:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-145969.php
[Last message of 'Taurarian'] Here, the error is just described. No solution is provided.

http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/7/1004343129/ShowThread.aspx
[Last message from beenaroundtheblock from 05-09-2007] Here, the situation is described. Suggestions for solving the issue (by uninstalling and installing another product) are provided.

I think you should extract the event protocols, save them, take a screen shot of the message, and write an email to Norton, requesting them to give you a feasible solution that will not require you to spend two days on the phone and/or the computer. After all, translators are usually working against time every day, and you should be able to expect a decent product without having to spend hours and hours over crappy situations like this. You paid for a supposedly working product which unfortunately interferes with your working environment, so you end up paying double - once for the product, and again with the time lost in investigating and trying to solve the problem.

Good luck!
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 20, 2007

I've followed your advices. I hope it'll work better now. I've even elevated my laptop a bit in the hope of creating better ventilation.

I just hope it does not give up on me.

Thanks again.

Ritu Bhanot

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Laptop cooler Sep 20, 2007

Hi Ritu,

If it is an overheating problem, then I recommend regular backups and investing in a laptop cooler.
My laptop was overheating last year and the constant sudden shutdowns ended up killing my hard drive. I managed to get inside the machine to clean the fan etc. - you might consider having this done as dust accumulates rather quickly.
Following this, I bought a cooler. It's an aluminium support with grooves for improved air flow. Inside are two fans, so I plug th
... See more
Hi Ritu,

If it is an overheating problem, then I recommend regular backups and investing in a laptop cooler.
My laptop was overheating last year and the constant sudden shutdowns ended up killing my hard drive. I managed to get inside the machine to clean the fan etc. - you might consider having this done as dust accumulates rather quickly.
Following this, I bought a cooler. It's an aluminium support with grooves for improved air flow. Inside are two fans, so I plug the cooler into a USB port and have two additional fans to help cool my machine. It cost me about 30 euros and it was a fantastic investment. I notice a difference straight away when I forget to plug it in!
In the beginning you just have to get used to your machine sitting up about 2 centimetres higher than usual, but I quite like the fact that it is now on a slight slant.

Good luck,

Natasha
Collapse

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Proably it's the overheating Sep 22, 2007

I had that problem myself with my laptop. Given that I live in Spain, the environmental temperatures in the summer are quite high, and the heat dissipation of the laptop was not sufficient. I did raise it a little bit, by placing books in the corners, but still that was not suffcient.

Like Natasha, I eventually bought a cooler. Mine does not have fans though I did consider buying one of those. Mine is simply an aluminium stand with cooling fins and works quite well.

I d
... See more
I had that problem myself with my laptop. Given that I live in Spain, the environmental temperatures in the summer are quite high, and the heat dissipation of the laptop was not sufficient. I did raise it a little bit, by placing books in the corners, but still that was not suffcient.

Like Natasha, I eventually bought a cooler. Mine does not have fans though I did consider buying one of those. Mine is simply an aluminium stand with cooling fins and works quite well.

I do however not recommend the classic plastic stand to leave the notebook in the air, as this is exactly the same case as placing books below. The air does flow below the computer, but the heat does not dissipate that well as with an aluminium stand, which is a great heat conductor.

Whether the cooler has fans (slightly noisier, though not much) or cooling fins is probably only a matter of taste, I do not think there will be much difference. Though the fans might have a somewhat better performance at the beginning, they also get dirty with the time, and are prone to failure, which of course does not occur with the plainly aluminium with cooling fins, which does not have any moving parts.

Regarding NAV & NIS, I did have it myself, but I ended up removing them altogether from my computer, as they did cause me more than one headache with other applications, and more than one blue screen I traced it back to those (they were a nightmare to uninstall, leaving plenty of shit in the registry). I now use Sunbelt Kerio Firewall & Nod32 as a virus-checker, and have sworn to never go back to use Norton....
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Computer switched off on its own

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »