Thread poster: Hepburn

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:02
English to French
+ ...
Oct 3, 2007

Hello,

I beg to be forgiven if this is not the proper forum but I am looking for a topic dealing with how to translate the text hidden in images or frames in certain Word docs.

It was very interesting and I thought I had saved it somewhere...but where...?
Various techniques were advised: got to View... I have tried , to no avail.

I have Windows XP .

Thank you for your help

Claudette

[Edited at 2007-10-03 09:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:02
English to Indonesian
+ ...
use trados Oct 3, 2007

i think tageditor reveals text hidden in frames/boxes.

Adora Mill
Local time: 10:02
English to Russian
some links to Windows XP Oct 3, 2007

Dear Claudette,
1) if you can't find the translation you've made, try to see "show previous versions".
2) what else you can do is simply use "notice" and fill it in.
Hope it helps.
Sincerely, AM.

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
not quite sure what you mean... Oct 3, 2007

To view hidden text in Word document: select Options in the Tools menu (or the equivalant in your language version of Word), click the View tab, and tick 'Hidden Text' under 'Formatting marks'.

To view text in frames and images: select Options in the Tools menu (or the equivalant in your language version of Word), click the View tab, and tick 'Drawings' under 'Print and Web Layout options'. You must also select Page Layout view for the document.

If someone has hidden text in a document (including a text box) by assigning it the same colour as the background, you can make it visible by selecting all the text in the document or text box and setting the font colour to Automatic or a colour other than the background colour.

Finally, text in some types of figures (especially pictures) cannot be edited in Word.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
In what way is it hidden? Oct 3, 2007

Hi Claudette,

Can you clarify:
Is this text that was hidden intentionally by the client?
Or is it text that has become invisible, presumably by incompatible/different Word versions?

Or are you looking for an existing thread here on Proz, that already discussed this topic???

/Jan

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A bit of every propblem Oct 3, 2007

Dear Ken,

I only wanted to be able to translate a text which for some reason - don't ask me why - does not appear on the document, but IT IS THERE and there to be translated as two different agecies have told me on to occasions.

I had to print the document to see them appear and then I translated them separately, but that was not ideal.

I think that there is a simple way. It was mentioned in that topic I have not filed properly.

But, your reply is very useful too and I will keept it more carefullly.

Thanks,

Claudette

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tools > Options > View Oct 3, 2007

Hi Claudette.

First, you can probably see the pictures in File > Print Preview.

If so, you will probably be able to change some settings to always see them. First, make sure you are in the Print Layout view (View > Print Layout), then go to Tools > Options > View and check the Drawings box (under the Print and Web Layout section).

If this doesn't work, try checking different options in the Tools > Options > View screen, one by one, to find out where your problem is.

This is just to SEE hidden pictures.

---------------

Translating text within a picture is a big problem translators have. Editing a picture (such as a pdf file) is very difficult, if not impossible.

Generally, CAT tools won't let you translate text boxes, so you may have to do it without them.

[Edited at 2007-10-03 17:45]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Translating text boxes Oct 4, 2007

Edward Potter wrote:

Generally, CAT tools won't let you translate text boxes, so you may have to do it without them.

Sorry, Edward, but that's just not true. Translating text boxes used to be cumbersome, maybe, but it's been possible with the market-leading tools for quite a while now and is really a breeze with Trados' XML Workflow for MS Word files these days*.

Benjamin

*) Now, converting those .ttx files back to MS Word might not always go as planned, but that's another topic entirely, I'm afraid.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

to translate hidden texts in Word documents

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search