Thread poster: Odette Grille

Odette Grille  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:35
English to French
+ ...
Nov 28, 2007

Hello,

I usually delete whole sentences by selecting and backspacing. When wordfast was installed, this function did not work any more so I deleted wordfast and everything was normal again.
But one morning, and although I did not reinstall wordfast, selecting and backspacing did not delete and I searched the Help, tried to reset some options different ways, but I cannot seem to recover this possibility.
Has anybody any idea why and how to fix this. I waste a lot of time because I am used to delete that way. I know I could set options to replace selection while typing, but I don't like that setting.
I am talking about word 2003 under Windows XP.

Thank you for your time
Ode

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:35
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not sure, but have you tried... Nov 28, 2007

under Extra, choose Options.
Then choose Edit, there is an option there: overwrite selection, and another: overwrite modus (My Word is in Dutch, not sure if these are the right names).

I'm not sure, but I think one of these could do the trick.

Good luck,
Margreet

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 12:35
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ctrl-X Nov 28, 2007

Have you tried using ctrl-x? I use this in wordfast to delete segment delimiters that you can't delete with a normal backspace or delete.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trick of the trade Nov 28, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

Have you tried using ctrl-x? I use this in wordfast to delete segment delimiters that you can't delete with a normal backspace or delete.

Yes, thank you. I use the cut function instead of delete and backspace, but it is worrisome that backspace does not do the trick anymore.
As I said I uninstalled wordfast, which was of no use to me. I am glad you mention this trick works to delete segments. I'll have to try it on SDLX.
Thanks

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did try Nov 28, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:

under Extra, choose Options.
Then choose Edit, there is an option there: overwrite selection, and another: overwrite modus (My Word is in Dutch, not sure if these are the right names).

I'm not sure, but I think one of these could do the trick.

Good luck,
Margreet

these options, but nothing changes wether I tick them or not.
Thank you for confirming though, I'll try again. I might have missed something
Have a good day
Ode

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Key mapping Nov 29, 2007

The same thing happened to me a while ago (in fact, I still cannot use Word as my email editor because of the same problem, but that is another story). I found out that the function assigned to the Backspace key had been changed by some program. Unfortunately, I do not remember where I found the solution and how I fixed it in Word, but it is there somewhere on the Web. Maybe, using a combination of words like key mapping, backspace, key function, key assign, does not delete, etc. you will be able to find some more information and, hopefully, the fix.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Strange Nov 29, 2007

Luisa Ramos wrote:

I still cannot use Word as my email editor because of the same problem, but that is another story)

Not really another story...Word is my mail editor, but backspace DOES work for my mail messages ?!?!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Select and backspace does not delete any more

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search