https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/91411-how_to_enter_characters_in_another_language.html

How to enter characters in another language
Thread poster: happycow
happycow
happycow
Local time: 09:06
Chinese to English
Dec 8, 2007

I am very new here, so there are heaps of questions in my head.

First, if I have got a software in another language, and would like to ask about the translation equivalent of the word, then how do I enter the characters here from my source language? Which part of the forum do I enter my question? Which part of the forum supports multi-lingual software?

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Which language? What software? Dec 8, 2007

Hi Happycow

I'm afraid you will have to elaborate on that.

To name the most common case: you receive a text in a word processor format (e.g. MS Word) and you have to translate this text into a language that uses a completely different set of characters. Most characters (if not all) are included in a character set called Unicode these days, which is supported by Windows. And Windows offers different keybo
... See more
Hi Happycow

I'm afraid you will have to elaborate on that.

To name the most common case: you receive a text in a word processor format (e.g. MS Word) and you have to translate this text into a language that uses a completely different set of characters. Most characters (if not all) are included in a character set called Unicode these days, which is supported by Windows. And Windows offers different keyboard layouts that enable you to enter the characters you need (but you might have to install them in addition).

Or are you talking about machine translation software? If so, I will have to pass the word to someone else, since I am not an expert in that field.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:06
Swedish to English
+ ...
You are talking about Chinese? Dec 8, 2007

In languages which use Latin characters - this is easy. When I want to type in Swedish using an English keyboard, I just set the language to Swedish (in Control Panel). As I know where the extra 3 Swedish characters are located on a Swedish keyboard, I just make allowances for this (I could of course pencil them in on my keyboard). The most annoying part of this is that most symbols are in different places.

With languages that use characters that are non-Latin, it's slightly more co
... See more
In languages which use Latin characters - this is easy. When I want to type in Swedish using an English keyboard, I just set the language to Swedish (in Control Panel). As I know where the extra 3 Swedish characters are located on a Swedish keyboard, I just make allowances for this (I could of course pencil them in on my keyboard). The most annoying part of this is that most symbols are in different places.

With languages that use characters that are non-Latin, it's slightly more complicated. My Chinese colleague has shown me how she types 2-3 different keys to achieve one Chinese character (obviously first setting her computer up for Chinese).

If you don't get a better answer here, I suggest you ask the same question in the Chinese forum (I'm assuming there's only one - there might be two for traditional and simplified).
Collapse

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
Chinese input methods Dec 9, 2007

There are many Chinese input methods you can use to enter Chinese characters into your Word documents. Microsoft Pinyin Input methods 2003/2007 will be available on your computer if you have installed Microsoft Office 2003/2007 Chinese edition. If you don't have that, try to use Google Pinyin input method, grab it here, free of charge: http://tools.google.com/pinyin/

But if you want to use Pi
... See more
There are many Chinese input methods you can use to enter Chinese characters into your Word documents. Microsoft Pinyin Input methods 2003/2007 will be available on your computer if you have installed Microsoft Office 2003/2007 Chinese edition. If you don't have that, try to use Google Pinyin input method, grab it here, free of charge: http://tools.google.com/pinyin/

But if you want to use Pinyin input methods to enter Chinese characters, you have to understand how the phonology of Chinese, for example, if you enter zhongguo (pinyin for China), you will get 中国, the Chinese characters.

Not quite sure if I have made my point across.

Kind regards,
Haiyang
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:06
Italian to English
+ ...
Translation Dec 10, 2007

I too am not sure that I've understood you correctly, but if you want to ask how to translate a word from one language to another you need to use the Kudoz section. From the options at the top of the page (Home - Kudoz - Jobs - Directories etc.), place your mouse over the "Kudoz" option and select "Proz.com term search" to see if anyone else has already asked the same question. If you can't find the term you're looking for, you can then click on "Ask question" and follow the instructions careful... See more
I too am not sure that I've understood you correctly, but if you want to ask how to translate a word from one language to another you need to use the Kudoz section. From the options at the top of the page (Home - Kudoz - Jobs - Directories etc.), place your mouse over the "Kudoz" option and select "Proz.com term search" to see if anyone else has already asked the same question. If you can't find the term you're looking for, you can then click on "Ask question" and follow the instructions carefully to ask for a translation of your term.Collapse

happycow
happycow
Local time: 09:06
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Google Chinese tools excluding songs Dec 11, 2007

Haiyang Ai wrote:

But if you want to use Pinyin input methods to enter Chinese characters, you have to understand how the phonology of Chinese, for example, if you enter zhongguo (pinyin for China), you will get 中国, the Chinese characters.

Not quite sure if I have made my point across.

Kind regards,
Haiyang

I have gone to the link and have a look. The features highlight the inclusion of songs from all over the world, but unfortunately I don't need this feature. In view of this, do you know of any other googe tools or any tools on the web that I can have for typing Chinese characters?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to enter characters in another language

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »