Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:15
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Dec 9, 2007

My hard disk is constantly chewing away, and extends system response time.

As a result of advice given in a previous post I downloaded File Monitor and after some checks the culprit seems to be ccSvcHst.exe - a service run by Norton Internet Security 2008.

Can anyone tell me what EXACTLY does this process do? [Couldn't find such info on the net yet.]
Is it something that can be stopped (and run manually at 'my pleasure')?

Thanks, Doron

Quest4
Quest4  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:15
English to Danish
Have a look at this forum Dec 9, 2007

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/789023.html

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Been there... Dec 9, 2007

Thanks, but it doesn't really say much about what this service actually does.

And, as usual, there are always the Norton-haters who jump in to announce their hatred of any and all Symantec's products...:) I'm quite happy with the protection it provides, and am only trying to smooth some rough edges.

Doron

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
More suggestions Dec 11, 2007

Doron Greenspan MITI wrote:

My hard disk is constantly chewing away, and extends system response time.

As a result of advice given in a previous post I downloaded File Monitor and after some checks the culprit seems to be ccSvcHst.exe - a service run by Norton Internet Security 2008.

Can anyone tell me what EXACTLY does this process do? [Couldn't find such info on the net yet.]
Is it something that can be stopped (and run manually at 'my pleasure')?

Thanks, Doron

Hi Doron,

This thread might be more helpful, there are some suggestions how to speed up the process:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=225644&messageID=2358933

/Jan

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
and some more suggestion Dec 11, 2007

take a look here
http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/how-to-fix-ccsvchstexe-problems/

I'm not a Norton hater, but I dislike their security products purely because they are bloated, take over your system, and cause serious slowdown and often even problem like the one you decide.
I will be happy to recommend you alternative solution (eveb fre
... See more
take a look here
http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/how-to-fix-ccsvchstexe-problems/

I'm not a Norton hater, but I dislike their security products purely because they are bloated, take over your system, and cause serious slowdown and often even problem like the one you decide.
I will be happy to recommend you alternative solution (eveb free ones).
I respect your choice and I won't try to "convert" you to something else. but from my experience if you choose to stay with Norton, follow the instructions in the above line.
In short:
1) Update your software (if it doesn't solve the problem)
2) Perform full uninstall of the software.
3) Reinstall the software.
Note: please check that the path of the files is C:\Program files\Common files. If the path is diffrent this may be a malware disguising itself as this process
I hope this will help
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan and Shai Dec 12, 2007

I'll follow up on those two sites.
My problem doesn't happen during shutdown but continuously - and it's not such a big problem since my pc can handle this 'extra' activity. I'm just curious as to why this happens.

I already had an enlightenment - perhaps this 'hyperactivity' is due to my recent installation of Norton Internet Security 2008 - it is now busily scanning all the files on my pc, and therefore it will stop at some stage...

BR, Doron

Suz52
Suz52
English
I just found this Feb 5, 2008

I was having the same issue and I had just installed nortons anti virus 2008, I have been using nortons for 10 years around and never had a real problem with it, but this new install was sucking the life outta my machine. I had been having all sort of alert pop ups that were driving me nuts. Also my machine started heating up, which now finally makes sense when I went to the processes and found that I was using approx 50 % cpu usage all the time. Now this is on a machine that was averaging 2-10 ... See more
I was having the same issue and I had just installed nortons anti virus 2008, I have been using nortons for 10 years around and never had a real problem with it, but this new install was sucking the life outta my machine. I had been having all sort of alert pop ups that were driving me nuts. Also my machine started heating up, which now finally makes sense when I went to the processes and found that I was using approx 50 % cpu usage all the time. Now this is on a machine that was averaging 2-10 % at any time.

A friend sent me a link and after I was complaining and of course everyone was telling me it was nortons. And this time it was, I googled the worse offender which was this process , I saw it was nortons and this link said go to the services and change Symantac core lc to automatic and tada, I am back to where I was before. I still don't know why but all I know is it worked.

Well at least it put this process back to a managable memory useage.. I just checked and I am high on cpu usage at the moment but the offender is firefox at the moment. the ccsvchst.exe was only at 886 where as when I started this it was 697k ...
Collapse

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Norton is more or less a virus in itself - Mar 10, 2008

horrible thing, eats up resources, leaves bits of itself lying around your computer which will screw you up if you ever uninstall and change to a new AV, horrific uncontrollable pop up things, vile vile vile. Particularly hateful is the way it comes preinstalled on new computers. Its not even that good a product

Best get rid:

1) Uninstall in the normal way

2) Run the Norton Removal Tool available here:
... See more
horrible thing, eats up resources, leaves bits of itself lying around your computer which will screw you up if you ever uninstall and change to a new AV, horrific uncontrollable pop up things, vile vile vile. Particularly hateful is the way it comes preinstalled on new computers. Its not even that good a product

Best get rid:

1) Uninstall in the normal way

2) Run the Norton Removal Tool available here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

which gets rid of all the registry files and stuff it leaves lying around

3) Check theres nothing left behind - go to Run > type "regedit" > edition > search, then look for Norton. Delete any registry files it comes up with - be careful to ONLY delete these not others by mistake. Repeat this process by searching "Symantech"

4) Install a decent AV - I'd strongly recommend Kaspersky

Hope this helps!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ccSvcHst.exe - what exactly does it do?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »