ProZ.com term search - how to do multiword searches?
Thread poster: Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:23
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 15, 2008

What happened to the term search? Until recently, in order to search for a two or more word term, I had to put this term in inverted commas in order to get search results for the multiword term instead of (many more) search results for each single word of the term. Since a couple of days, this does not work any more. Although I put my multiword term in inverted commas, I get all the search results for each single word of the term. Did I miss an important announcement?

Klaus

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:23
Latin to English
+ ...
Suggested solution Jan 15, 2008

I'm not an administrator so I can't answer your question about any change in policy, but there is an easy fix for you: under the box where you enter your term there is a box marked "match exact phrase". You should click on this. Of course you should use your imagination here to avoid too limited a search. for example if you enter your phrase in the plural and don't find an answer, try it again cast in the singular, or vice versa, or omitting seemingly superflous words in the phrase.

... See more
I'm not an administrator so I can't answer your question about any change in policy, but there is an easy fix for you: under the box where you enter your term there is a box marked "match exact phrase". You should click on this. Of course you should use your imagination here to avoid too limited a search. for example if you enter your phrase in the plural and don't find an answer, try it again cast in the singular, or vice versa, or omitting seemingly superflous words in the phrase.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2008-01-15 16:55]

[Edited at 2008-01-15 16:56]
Collapse

Michaela Sommer
Michaela Sommer  Identity Verified
English to German
"match exact phrase" function Jan 15, 2008

Hi Klaus,

I never use inverted commas to search for a term consisting of more than one word (as you do in Google), but tick the option "match exact phrase". Works fine for me!

HTH

Michaela

Klaus Urban
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thomas and Michaela Jan 15, 2008

Thank you for responding to my request.
Certainly, I used this tool, but get the single words results nevertheless!
I have been searching term for nearly 3 years now, not using inverted commas. Then, some months ago, I realized a change and tried with inverted commas and it worked. But now?
Best regards
Klaus

Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
Could you give me an example of your search phrase? Jan 15, 2008

Hello Klaus,

There was a recent update to ProZ.com term search that I described here - http://www.proz.com/topic/93790

If you could show me the exact input you would use as your search phrase I can investigate this new behaviour and make some adjustments.

Regards,
Andrew

Klaus Urban
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Andrew Jan 15, 2008

Thank you for this link which helped me find the solution to my problem.

Obviously, there are 2 options how to search for multiple word terms:

either:
with inverted commas without "Match exact phase"

or
without inverted commas with "Match exact phrase"

I mixed up both options,
with inverted commas with "Match exact phrase"
what resulted in what I described above.

Thank you all for your help!

Be
... See more
Thank you for this link which helped me find the solution to my problem.

Obviously, there are 2 options how to search for multiple word terms:

either:
with inverted commas without "Match exact phase"

or
without inverted commas with "Match exact phrase"

I mixed up both options,
with inverted commas with "Match exact phrase"
what resulted in what I described above.

Thank you all for your help!

Best regards

Klaus
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com term search - how to do multiword searches?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »