United States
Local time: 21:39
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 14, 2008

Hi, all,

Please advise with following:

I want to reinstall my Windows XP. Therefore I have already saved my important documents and other files on my external drive. But how i can save my messages from Outlook Express and Outlook?

After reinstallation i want to switch to Mozilla e-mailer, and not using either Outlook or Outlook Express.

Also how can I save my Favorites from Internet Explorer, if after reinstallation I would like to start using Mozilla browser.

Thank you very much in advance,
Vladimir

[Edited at 2008-02-14 07:59]

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 06:39
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
file locations Feb 14, 2008

In Windows XP

C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{??????????????????????}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Address Book:

C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Favourites:

C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Favorites

Thorson
Local time: 04:39
Danish to English
I use Outlook Express Backup Feb 14, 2008

For my Outlook Express messages, I could do a manual backup, export and import of account settings, etc., but it's much easier to use Outlook Express Backup which does it automatically, plus it lets you add other critical files to the backup and even ftp's it to backup space you have on a remote server and a whole lot more.

And you can't beat the price--free!

http://www.download.com/Outlook-Express-Backup/3000-2242_4-10159751.html?tag=lst-1

-----------------

However, you say you're changing over to Mozilla--do that first and import your messages into Mozilla mail.

For your Internet Explorer settings and favorites, go to File/import and export to export them to a file that can be imported into Mozilla (actually, don't you mean Firefox?)

-----------------

Just for reference, for a full backup, I use DriveImage XML, an excellent free utility which creates an image of the entire drive which can be easily restored, including operating system and all files. It is much faster than copying files and many other backup methods, and you don't have to spend time deciding what to backup--everything is backed up.

After reinstalling XP and installing your drivers, etc., make a DriveImage backup of your clean install and save that to restore next time you want to return to a clean install and your next clean install will take minutes rather than hours.

http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

[Edited at 2008-02-14 11:39]

[Edited at 2008-02-14 11:45]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:39
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Import into Thunderbird Feb 14, 2008

If by Mozilla e-mailer you mean Thunderbird, you can import the address book into it.
Thunderbird>Address Book>Tools>Import> and select Outlook Express or Outlook, then import the address book.

As a browser, are you intending to use Mozilla Firefox? Just found this in Firefox Help.

For Internet Explorer Users

About your IE favorites and settings.

When you first install Firefox, it will import your existing Internet Explorer settings, including your Favorites, cookies, stored passwords and a variety of data. This saves you time in customizing Firefox to fit your needs.

[Edited at 2008-02-14 12:06]

Thorson
Local time: 04:39
Danish to English
Wow Feb 14, 2008

I just installed Thunderbird after reading what you wrote and the transition from Outlook Express couldn't have been more painless--it asked if I DID NOT want to import account info, mail, etc., then imported everything automatically.

So far I'm very impressed--all my mail folders and accounts are there--lots of advanced features--looks great!

Then I needed a backup program for it, and found Mailstore Home at download.com--also very cool.

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:39
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 14, 2008

Thorson and Jack, and Selcuk,
Thank you for your great help!
Vladimir
Thorson wrote:

I just installed Thunderbird after reading what you wrote and the transition from Outlook Express couldn't have been more painless--it asked if I DID NOT want to import account info, mail, etc., then imported everything automatically.

So far I'm very impressed--all my mail folders and accounts are there--lots of advanced features--looks great!

Then I needed a backup program for it, and found Mailstore Home at download.com--also very cool.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

saving messages from Outlook / Outlook Express when reinstalling Windows

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search