Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:01
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 14, 2008

I have to translate a webpage but I can not copy its texts. I think the copy-paste function was disabled during the design phase. Is there any tool designed to copy texts in these cases?

TIA.

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:01
French to English
+ ...
Try leaving out the first and last letter when you copy. Feb 14, 2008

I don't know much about web design, but in the past I've noticed that occasionally if you start your cut after the first letter and stop it before the final full stop (or last letter), then you can copy text. The lay-out remains problematic.

If it works, you'll just have to add the first and last letters manually.

Good luck!
Jocelyne

Paul Betts
Paul Betts  Identity Verified
French to English
Other ways of obtaining the text... Feb 14, 2008

If you are browsing a .html page with Internet Explorer, it may be that the web page builder has put in a simple script (javascript) that often disables the right clicking on the page. Very often this does not extend to other browsers... if you try with another browser for example Firefox or Opera the javascript may not function correctly and the page content is recoverable. If you manage to copy the text 'rinse' it through Notepad (Paste + reselect and Copy) then paste the Notepad text into y... See more
If you are browsing a .html page with Internet Explorer, it may be that the web page builder has put in a simple script (javascript) that often disables the right clicking on the page. Very often this does not extend to other browsers... if you try with another browser for example Firefox or Opera the javascript may not function correctly and the page content is recoverable. If you manage to copy the text 'rinse' it through Notepad (Paste + reselect and Copy) then paste the Notepad text into your translation environment window - this will take out any unwanted formatting debris from the web page.

If the text is locked in by Flash you will only really be able to recover it by printing the web page and scanning your paper page with a text-recognition software application.

There are other methods like saving the web page, changing the doc extension to .txt (from .html) and getting your mouse into the code, but this is usually time-consuming and not ideal for large volumes.
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Have you tried... Feb 14, 2008

...to save the page as .txt file? From the "File" menu, choose "Save" and then "Text only" from the "Save As" field. My browser (Avant) allows me to save like this. HTH

Gianni

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:01
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I haven't Feb 14, 2008

Wow! I didn't think it could be so easy...

(blush....)

Grazie, caro signore!

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Tell them to stuff it Feb 14, 2008

Tell the client to give you text you can work with - you're not obliged to put up with this nonsense. If they can't or won't do that, drop the job and go and do something more interesting instead. Life's too short to take other people's problems on board.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Deactivate JavaScript Feb 14, 2008

Yaotl Altan wrote:
I have to translate a webpage but I can not copy its texts. I think the copy-paste function was disabled during the design phase. Is there any tool designed to copy texts in these cases?

Deactivate JavaScript. In Opera, you press F12 and select the appropriate option, and reload the page (reloading may be optional, don't know). In Opera, deactivating JavaScript in one page does not affect it in other pages, but I understand that some browsers don't work that way.

Also try the following: Click anywhere in the page, then press Ctrl+A (which means "select all") and then press Ctrl+C (which means "copy"). Now try to paste in your word processor.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In your case... Feb 14, 2008

J S wrote:
...in the past I've noticed that occasionally if you start your cut after the first letter and stop it before the final full stop (or last letter), then you can copy text.

What you're talking about, can often be solved by changing to a user style sheet. In Opera, it is easy: press Shift+G, or go View -- Style -- User mode.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Dead on Feb 20, 2008

lexical wrote:

Tell the client to give you text you can work with - you're not obliged to put up with this nonsense. If they can't or won't do that, drop the job and go and do something more interesting instead. Life's too short to take other people's problems on board.

Seconded.

B

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy text

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »