Word count for the hard copy?
Thread poster: Aleksandra Mandrapa
Aleksandra Mandrapa
Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2003

Is there any way I can do a word count for the document that I received by fax? (Except by counting each word,- I have 14 pages, and between 500 and 600 words on each of them.)

Thanks a lot.

Bettina Schewe
Bettina Schewe  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge by target language word count Mar 29, 2003

What I usually do in these cases is to set a rate for target language word count. This surely avoids a lot of headaches.

Good luck!

Bettina

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Word Count Mar 29, 2003

You do not know target words until the job is done, so if the client wants a price now, then do it like Tayfun suggests by counting lines, etc.

I have had to live with that for many years and it gives a close enough count that both you and the client can also live with. It takes a bit more time if the format is irregular, but 14 pages is nothing.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:39
English to German
+ ...
charge for the transcript Mar 30, 2003

If the text is not yet in a file, it is not suitable for CAT. It may be worth the effort to make a transcript first. If you cannot charge directly for a transcript, you can consider it in calculating a lump sum, simply according to the additional time efforts.

Aleksandra Mandrapa
Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Apr 3, 2003

I just want to thank you all for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count for the hard copy?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »