Word won\'t stop talking in British English or \"get those \'esses\' out of my words\"
Thread poster: Edward Potter
Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:38
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 31, 2003

Word 2000. I select U.S. Englsh (predetermined) but it keeps chucking in English \"u\"s, \"ise\"es. How do I get it to talk with an American accent? Thanks for any help.

Carolyn Denoncourt
Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:38
French to English
+ ...
Check the spell checker options Mar 31, 2003

Hi Edward,

In Word, try checking under TOOLS, OPTIONS, then the tab for Spelling and Grammar to see what dictionary the Spell and Grammar checker is using. In this window, you can also turn off the automatic Check Spelling as you Type, so that Word will not keep offering corrections. This will not affect your ability to run a spell check when you are finished -- but the correct dictionary must be selected to get the Spell check to function the way you want it.

... See more
Hi Edward,

In Word, try checking under TOOLS, OPTIONS, then the tab for Spelling and Grammar to see what dictionary the Spell and Grammar checker is using. In this window, you can also turn off the automatic Check Spelling as you Type, so that Word will not keep offering corrections. This will not affect your ability to run a spell check when you are finished -- but the correct dictionary must be selected to get the Spell check to function the way you want it.

Regards,

Carolyn
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Easy way Mar 31, 2003

1) Select all

2) Tools, Language, Set Language

3) Scroll to US English

Close out

Now try your spell check

This is an easy way to do it

cheers

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try this Mar 31, 2003

Select the whole text, double click on the language in status bar. Uncheck the option \"auto select language\" (or similar) and choose american English.

Be sure the language of your styles is defined to US English too.

This should help.

Jerzy

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:38
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Make it Default Mar 31, 2003

Just to add to what Jane Lamb-Ruiz says, the Select Language menu also has a \"Default\" button, so after doing as she says, if you select that, it makes it permanent for all documents produced in the template you are using at the time. I find this useful, because I have one regular client who requires US spelling, so I use a special template for that work with default English (U.S.), and keep the \"normal\" template and all my other templates in default English (U.K.).

[ This Message wa
... See more
Just to add to what Jane Lamb-Ruiz says, the Select Language menu also has a \"Default\" button, so after doing as she says, if you select that, it makes it permanent for all documents produced in the template you are using at the time. I find this useful, because I have one regular client who requires US spelling, so I use a special template for that work with default English (U.S.), and keep the \"normal\" template and all my other templates in default English (U.K.).

[ This Message was edited by: jdoughty on 2003-03-31 22:21]
Collapse

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no dice Mar 31, 2003

Thank all of you. I\'ve tried the \"detect language automatically\" thing and I\'ve tried selecting U.S. English. I will say that I just reinstalled Office and that is when the trouble all started. I used the standard configuration.

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jun 18, 2003

I had to use the install CD in order to re-install my American English spell checker. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word won\'t stop talking in British English or \"get those \'esses\' out of my words\"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »