Working from a .GIF file
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 04:19
German to English
Apr 3, 2003

My client asked me to translate a newspaper article posted on his Website. When I went to the Website I found the newspaper article available only as a GIF file.

What is the best way to work from this format? If I print it out it is so tiny it

is illegible, and as opposed to a PDF file I can\'t copy the text into Word.

Any help would be much appreciated.

smorales30
smorales30  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
gif file Apr 3, 2003

What I would do is save the gif file. Then I would change the size with a graphic editor (Image, Paint, Photoshop...) and I would make it big enough to read the font. Then I would copy the text into Word...

If you had the original file (not gif) you could overwrite the text and but if the client did not give you the original picture this is the only way you can do it...

Silvia

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
My condolences! Apr 3, 2003

Hi Rebecca,

there is virtually nothing I could help you with. You have to switch between the both windows to read the source and write the target.

Personally, I do have two monitors. The left one is displaying the PDF/GIF whatever source text, the right monitor is reserved for my CAT tool and the word processor.

Carsten

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:19
Georgian to English
+ ...
convert .gif ? Apr 3, 2003

One possibility might be to use an image handling file such as might come with a scanner or be downloaded as a demo. Some of these will convert a .gif file to word or other text, (and if you don\'t have access to one that does, at least it might convert to an image which printed out bigger).

I like the idea of two monitors (working on the one computer? - how is that done, if it is?).

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Is the text quality good enough? Apr 3, 2003

If yes, the best way would be using an OCR program for converting graphics to text.

You may contact me privately, maybe I could help you.

Regards,

Natalia

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry - Gifs are graphics Apr 3, 2003

GIF files are graphics - you cannot simply copy text from GIFs. I personally use Microsoft Image Composer, but any other graphics processing program will do. Enlarge it and copy (manually) the text.

Alternatively, use an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program (as used by scanners) to try to recognize the text and import into Word.

To my knowledge, there is no way to transfer the text from graphics apart from these.

Bests

... See more
GIF files are graphics - you cannot simply copy text from GIFs. I personally use Microsoft Image Composer, but any other graphics processing program will do. Enlarge it and copy (manually) the text.

Alternatively, use an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program (as used by scanners) to try to recognize the text and import into Word.

To my knowledge, there is no way to transfer the text from graphics apart from these.

Bests

Quote:

On 2003-04-03 13:44, Holmes wrote:

My client asked me to translate a newspaper article posted on his Website. When I went to the Website I found the newspaper article available only as a GIF file.

What is the best way to work from this format? If I print it out it is so tiny it

is illegible, and as opposed to a PDF file I can\'t copy the text into Word.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:19
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Two monitors on the same PC Apr 3, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-03 16:05, giulik wrote:

I like the idea of two monitors (working on the one computer? - how is that done, if it is?).

To use two monitors with a single computer you need a graphic card \'dual head\'. Basically a graphic card where you can plug-in two monitors.

I use a Matrox G400 and two 17\" monitors. It\'s so useful!

I ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-03 16:05, giulik wrote:

To use two monitors with a single computer you need a graphic card \'dual head\'. Basically a graphic card where you can plug-in two monitors.

I use a Matrox G400 and two 17\" monitors. It\'s so useful!

I can keep my wordprocessor open full screen and the second monitor for browsing the Internet or for the Trados/Concordance windows or Instant messaging programs or else, and all this without switching applications or straining my eyes with tiny characters.

Immensely useful if working on two documents, side by side, or looking at a picture while typing elsewhere...

Nowadays, even 17\" monitors are inexpensive and the graphic card itself is affordable, this hardware is advisable for our work.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by: gianfranco on 2003-04-03 17:25] ▲ Collapse

Boyan Kostadinov
Boyan Kostadinov  Identity Verified
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Two Monitor = 2 Virtual Desktops Apr 3, 2003

A cheaper solution to 2 monitors would be using Virtual Desktops application. True, you can\'t look at both screens at once but you also are saving space on your desk and money for the second monitor. The way Virutal Desktops work is:

- You install the applicaiton (many available, check http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=Virtual%20Desktops&tg=dl-2001, I personally
... See more
A cheaper solution to 2 monitors would be using Virtual Desktops application. True, you can\'t look at both screens at once but you also are saving space on your desk and money for the second monitor. The way Virutal Desktops work is:

- You install the applicaiton (many available, check http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=Virtual%20Desktops&tg=dl-2001, I personally use goScreen - http://home.eol.ca/~andgur/software/goscreen.html)

- You configure it to have however many Virutal Desktops

- You assign a key to each desktop

Then you have however many desktops avaiable and you can swith between them with the appropriate key assigned to that desktop. So having 4 Virtual Desktops is almost like having 4 Monitors. You can keep your work area clean and have specific applications open on specific Virtual Desktops.
Collapse

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Good copy is a must! Apr 3, 2003

Decent copy to work from is an absolute must, and really it should be up to the client to provide it.

My classic experience happened a while back when I foolishly agreed to translate \"a few more files\" for a training course I was already working on. When said files arrived, they consisted of a series of photographs of all the notes made (scrawled!) on all the whiteboards and flipcharts during the previous session of the course (upwards of 60 of them...)

<
... See more
Decent copy to work from is an absolute must, and really it should be up to the client to provide it.

My classic experience happened a while back when I foolishly agreed to translate \"a few more files\" for a training course I was already working on. When said files arrived, they consisted of a series of photographs of all the notes made (scrawled!) on all the whiteboards and flipcharts during the previous session of the course (upwards of 60 of them...)

Even though they printed off OK I found them more or less illegible. The client then agreed to meet the cost of getting them transcribed into a Word file (and I asked a native speaker to do this, who could make a better stab at the messy handwriting).

So I\'d approach the clients and come to an arrangement whereby it\'s typed up first, at their end or yours but at their expense.

Normally I\'ll work from any document or format, faxes, whatever as long as they are legible with one exception: if source text is not of a reasonable size, I must have it enlarged or transcribed.

Other we are just asking for eye problems. (Which must rank alongside RSI and back pain when it comes to serious long-term health risks for translators?)
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:19
English to German
+ ...
working from a .gif file Apr 3, 2003

Did you already search the web for portions of that newspaper article? Chances are not to bad that you could find it as html or pdf on some forgotten server.

And some newspapers keep archives for interested clients.

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 04:19
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 4, 2003

Many, many thanks for all the brilliant suggestions and offers to help - it\'s great

to know there are so many kind people out there!

Being as to how I wasn\'t sure how to work with the OCR programs mentions (or even if I have such a program on my computer)I re-contacted the customer yesterday and asked if he had perhaps saved an actually physical clipping of the article from the newspaper somewhere which he could photocopy and fax - fortunately he had!

Had that not
... See more
Many, many thanks for all the brilliant suggestions and offers to help - it\'s great

to know there are so many kind people out there!

Being as to how I wasn\'t sure how to work with the OCR programs mentions (or even if I have such a program on my computer)I re-contacted the customer yesterday and asked if he had perhaps saved an actually physical clipping of the article from the newspaper somewhere which he could photocopy and fax - fortunately he had!

Had that not worked out probably the split-screen idea would have done the trick - I also thought the idea of seeing if the article was available in the newspaers online archives was brilliant.

Many thanks,

Rebecca
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working from a .GIF file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »