Off topic: Walpurgisnacht - is it celebrated in Germany
Thread poster: Nadezhda Osipova
Nadezhda Osipova
Nadezhda Osipova
Local time: 04:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 8, 2003

Do Germans celebrate Walpurgisnacht now? How do you do it?

Kevin Schlottmann
Kevin Schlottmann  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:01
German to English
This link might help... Apr 8, 2003

The link below gives some background; it appears that something is celebrated before May day, whether or not it is actually called \"Walpurgisnacht.\"

I am personally only familiar with it from Faust (but since I grew up in New York, that makes sense! .

http://www.serve.com/shea/germusa/walpurgi.htm

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 03:01
German to English
+ ...
In our neck of the woods......... Apr 8, 2003

In all the parts of Germany I have lived in they have a \"Tanz in den Mai\" or Dance into May celebration. However, in our neck of the woods in the Middle Rhine Valley (Bingen to Koblenz) it\'s also known as Hexennacht (Witches\' Night). This is when the witches come out and wreak mild havoc in the towns and villages - stealing whatever people have left out in front of their houses. The first year we were in our new house the \"witches\" stole our garden gate, leaving it in the village square. <... See more
In all the parts of Germany I have lived in they have a \"Tanz in den Mai\" or Dance into May celebration. However, in our neck of the woods in the Middle Rhine Valley (Bingen to Koblenz) it\'s also known as Hexennacht (Witches\' Night). This is when the witches come out and wreak mild havoc in the towns and villages - stealing whatever people have left out in front of their houses. The first year we were in our new house the \"witches\" stole our garden gate, leaving it in the village square.

Of course you can try to appease the witches by leaving a bottle of something with a decent percentage attached to whatever it is you don\'t want them to move........... :*)

This year our village will be firing up the wood-fired bake-house in the middle of the village and having a pizza bake. If anyone\'s around Bacharach that night the head up to Medenscheid for the party.....
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Walpurgisnacht - is it celebrated in Germany

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »