Thread poster: Jennifer Gordon Taylor

Jennifer Gordon Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:44
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Jun 15, 2009

First of all, sorry for writing in English, but this is a German-specific question and my German skills amount to about ten words!

I am helping a German friend to get some employee references translated into English so he can send them out with future job applications abroad. Another friend will be doing the translation, but she is not a certified translator (and works in the Czech Republic). He would like to make sure the references look genuine (which they are of course!).

What is the norm in these situations if there is one? Can anyone advise me about the possibilities of having a completed translation notarised/certified/sworn and would you recommend a German system or English system?

Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions!

Direct link Reply with quote

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:44
German to English
+ ...
Certified translations Jun 15, 2009

In the end, it really depends on what the agency will accept. Most agencies will accept any certified translator's stamp (no agency has ever declined my signature and stamp), but some are supposedly a bit picky, like some agencies in Bavaria, for example, which only accept the signatures from translators who received their authorizations in Bavaria (or so I've heard).

It is however generally possible to have a someone, who is authorized to place a stamp, look over the translation and put their signature (and stamp) at the bottom.

Most of those someones (myself included) probably won't be tickled to do it, since it usually means more work than less, since they have to go over EVERYTHING to make sure it is fine and most prefer to certify their own translations, but they certainly can.

My suggestion would be to have the translation certified by someone authorized where you are going to submit the document in question.

HTH

Jennifer Gordon Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:44
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Jun 15, 2009

Thank you very much for your reply. You've definitely given me more to go on.

I've actually come to the realisation that he could just submit the translation together with the original German version, not certified, but there for all to see should someone want to check it out. I'm going to suggest it to him. After all, this is for job applications that could be sent to a number of places (UK, Sweden, etc.) and getting it certified by each and every one seems silly, and what will a German stamp really mean to someone in another country?

(It's so much easier to spend time working out other people's problems instead of your own, isn't it?!)

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Sworn translations DE-EN - help please

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search