Beware of TRADOS dongle eaters (or the like)
Thread poster: Detlef Eberwein
Detlef Eberwein
Detlef Eberwein  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:12
Spanish to German
+ ...
Mar 21, 2002

I wanted to share an experience. I’ve been a freelance translator for more than twenty years. And I used a computer quite early, I think [if there is anybody who remembers, my first machine was a Commodore 8032 – 32 kB RAM, imagine! -, software something like WordPro 4+ or so (nothing to do with Lotus, as far as I know)]. I always used to pay for my software despite of the “Aren’t you crazy” questions of my friends (I’ve known people who didn’t even bother to pay for [Win]Zip which... See more
I wanted to share an experience. I’ve been a freelance translator for more than twenty years. And I used a computer quite early, I think [if there is anybody who remembers, my first machine was a Commodore 8032 – 32 kB RAM, imagine! -, software something like WordPro 4+ or so (nothing to do with Lotus, as far as I know)]. I always used to pay for my software despite of the “Aren’t you crazy” questions of my friends (I’ve known people who didn’t even bother to pay for [Win]Zip which they used every day), including the corresponding updates (somewhat later, I think, when I changed to IBM [or compatible] my first version of Word was 1.x or so, wasn’t that the Middle Ages?). And I can’t recall the number of updates I paid for just for this program.

But you’re never that safe. I acquired Trados a while ago, plus, later, an update to the latest version 5, if my memory doesn’t deceive me (should be about 1,300 Euros altogether). I’m not quite sure of that because I delayed its installation – until there was the fire. I mean, I real fire that destroyed about everything there was in my office. I won’t talk about true losses, that’s a few books in the first place, of course (something like a first edition of Borrow’s “Bible in Spain” among others), but there also was a Trados dongle melted down to I don’t know what.

My insurance say they won’t pay for a license because a license is a right which can’t burn, and I can understand their point of view. Trados, however, have another point of view – they say: no dongle, no license. The dongle is the license. Leave out some hours of telephone conversations to Stuttgart or Madrid, I just did it ‘cause I had to. I acquired a second full license, again for almost 1,000 Euros. Any hints at what I’ve done wrong? Just for the next time, I mean (which, of course, I hope will never happen – what’s more, I sincerely hope it will never happen to any of you).

Detlef

Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Beware of TRADOS dongle eaters (or the like)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »