Thread poster: lisa79
lisa79
lisa79
Local time: 06:54
English to German
+ ...
Jul 7, 2007

Hello,

It is quite obviously a no-no to change the scope of a patent text in any way in the translation process. However, may I check the following with you: In your opinion is it or is it not acceptable to insert an article (determinate or indeterminate) in the patent genre? In other text genres it would sound wrong to me in terms of grammar (in the following instances) NOT to insert them. My intuition in this regard is not to insert any articles if I can avoid it, however I would
... See more
Hello,

It is quite obviously a no-no to change the scope of a patent text in any way in the translation process. However, may I check the following with you: In your opinion is it or is it not acceptable to insert an article (determinate or indeterminate) in the patent genre? In other text genres it would sound wrong to me in terms of grammar (in the following instances) NOT to insert them. My intuition in this regard is not to insert any articles if I can avoid it, however I would appreciate your feedback on that.

[…] for example, receipt of a new e-mail or text message or incoming phone call […]
[…] zum Beispiel Empfang einer neuen E-Mail- oder Textnachricht oder (eines?) eingehenden Telefonanrufs […]

[…] may be temporarily loaded into a volatile store such as RAM 26.
[…] können temporär in einen flüchtigen Speicher wie (das?) RAM 26 geladen werden.

[…] with subsystems such as a display, flash memory, random access memory (RAM), keyboard […]
[…] mit Untersystemen wie einer Anzeige, (einem?) Flash-Speicher, (einem?) Random Access Memory (RAM), (einer?) Tastatur […]

Many thanks in advance,

Elisabeth
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Of course Jul 8, 2007

In your samples, you obviously have to put the additional articles in order to make the text proper German.
Cheers
Heinrich

lisa79
lisa79
Local time: 06:54
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers Jul 11, 2007

Dear Heinrich,

Thank you very much for your reply to my query!

I am still convinced that in some cases in patent translation one is required to sometimes omit an article, although in a way it seems inappropriate in terms of grammar, though probably not in these cases...

Best wishes,

Elisabeth

[Edited at 2007-07-11 15:58]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Articles indead Jul 13, 2007

When translating into Finnish or Russian etc., you have to omit all articles, and in the opposite direction you have to invent them all.
Cheers
Heinrich

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Adjustment of the scope of a patent in the translation process

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »