self publishing a translation project: authors' rights
Thread poster: Jennifer Barnett

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:11
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 21, 2008

I have gained permission to translate and publish a series of symposium publications on cultural heritage from Dutch to English from the association that organises these symposiums. I will not be paid for this but I will be exploiting the translated works. As the market is very small, I will not make much money from this: it is a rather idealistic project to better disseminate knowledge in my previous field. The articles are 'owned' by the association but it still requires me to ask permission of the authors before I translate their articles. I have been advised that this is not usual, that such permission is not legally required. Is this true?

Secondly, the articles are in Dutch but I live in France and so will sell the translations from France. Does that mean that the authors' rights to which I should adhere must be the French version? If so, where can I find the information?

Is there now a European authors' rights regulation that covers all countries in the EU? If so, where can I find this information?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
France - ATLF May 21, 2008

In France you can contact the ATLF - which is the Association des traducteurs littéraires.
They have lots of material regarding rights issues in France.

They have a website www.atlf.org

Celia Recarey  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
WIPO May 21, 2008

Hi exley,

You can find information about the international regulation of intellectual property on WIPO's website, here: http://www.wipo.int/copyright/en/

Good luck with your project

Celia

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 24, 2008

Thanks muchly for for the information. The WIPO site is just what I need now and the ATLF will certainly come in handy in the future.

Perhaps they should both be mentioned somewhere on this site as handy references but a quick look did not reveal a 'useful links' tab. Perhaps it would be too much considering all the languages involved.

Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

self publishing a translation project: authors' rights

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search