Wa'ad Younane
Wa'ad Younane
Lebanon
Local time: 21:10
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 6, 2008

Hello,

I am on the verge of establishing my own translation company (finally:D) I have everything figured out already, from A to Z. However...:)
I've been wrecking my brains in an attempt to find a name for my company, in vain:-?

I know I cannot expect from anyone to give me a name that's ready to use:) but I thought that maybe we can share a few keywords that are related to the translation field (like for example "Translation, lexicon, terms, words, etc.), maybe
... See more
Hello,

I am on the verge of establishing my own translation company (finally:D) I have everything figured out already, from A to Z. However...:)
I've been wrecking my brains in an attempt to find a name for my company, in vain:-?

I know I cannot expect from anyone to give me a name that's ready to use:) but I thought that maybe we can share a few keywords that are related to the translation field (like for example "Translation, lexicon, terms, words, etc.), maybe I find some that I can use or even combine to find a name.

Thank you for your help! I'm starting to get desperate and need to find a name very soon.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:10
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Dare to be unique. Use your name. Aug 6, 2008

And avoid any of those garden-variety word combinations containing "Trans", "Lingua", "Lang-Something", etc.

I routinely misfile emails because the names of the outsourcers display about as much distinctiveness as 12 eggs in my refrigerator.

Wa'ad Younane
Wa'ad Younane
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possible, but... Aug 6, 2008

Have you seen my name? It's too complicated loooool:D
Wa'ad????

Although it's an Arabic name and means "Promise";)

Thank you, I haven't thought of that actually, maybe i find something related to it.

[Edited at 2008-08-06 14:14]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I was thinking of your last name. Aug 6, 2008

I already see beautiful ways to create a terrific and unique logo.

Elvira Alves Barry
Elvira Alves Barry  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
You can still be unique . . . Aug 6, 2008

either by using your last name: Younane Translation Services/Language or whatever;

or by using a translation of that beautiful Arabic name: Promise Translation/Language, etc. That's so pretty!

Or maybe there's some other word in Arabic that, when translated, has a special meaning for you?

Christine Biloré
Christine Biloré  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:10
English to French
+ ...
Something refering to your country... Aug 6, 2008

I was thinking about Cedar Translation for instance...

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
I don't have a company but... Aug 6, 2008

For my website/email I went for the Arabic word "turjumana". It may not mean much for the non-Arabic speakers, but I liked the sound of it (it's the female form of "turjuman", or Egyptian, "torgoman", which is an old-fashioned word for translator, now mainly used to refer to local people providing informal interpreting services for tourists).
You could go for a word derived from the word "tarjama" (translate), though you'll probably have to do some searching to find one that isn't already
... See more
For my website/email I went for the Arabic word "turjumana". It may not mean much for the non-Arabic speakers, but I liked the sound of it (it's the female form of "turjuman", or Egyptian, "torgoman", which is an old-fashioned word for translator, now mainly used to refer to local people providing informal interpreting services for tourists).
You could go for a word derived from the word "tarjama" (translate), though you'll probably have to do some searching to find one that isn't already taken.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How about a local animal or plant? Aug 6, 2008

Wa'ad Younane wrote:
I've been wrecking my brains in an attempt to find a name for my company.

Well, I'd stay away from "Wa'ad" (reminds me of "Whaaaat?") and "Younane" (reminds me of "you" + "inane"). And like Nicole said, don't do "lingo" etc. So here's a thought... get a local plant or animal or geographic feature that you can use in your logo, and use it as your company's name. Bilore is on the right track with "Cedar Translations", I think. Or "Ibex Translations" (the nubian ibex from Lebanon is an endangered species).

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
An idea Aug 6, 2008

I vote for Younane Translation Services(abbreviated as YTS) and you can add Lebanon.I assume there aren't too many people called Younane and I also assume there aren't many translation agencies in a poor African country like Lebanon.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Excuse me? Aug 6, 2008

zsugabubus wrote:

in a poor African country like Lebanon.

No further comment.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hilarious! Aug 6, 2008

zsugabubus wrote:

.... I also assume there aren't many translation agencies in a poor African country like Lebanon.

Thanks for the laugh!

Let's assume that the "African" bit is a typo (!) and the "poor" bit is relative (poor compared to Sweden), why assume that Waad is only going to compete with local agencies??

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yay!! Aug 6, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

zsugabubus wrote:

.... I also assume there aren't many translation agencies in a poor African country like Lebanon.

Thanks for the laugh!

Let's assume that the "African" bit is a typo (!) and the "poor" bit is relative (poor compared to Sweden), why assume that Waad is only going to compete with local agencies??

And she will not accept dogs for payment.

Wa'ad Younane
Wa'ad Younane
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My reply Aug 6, 2008

Nicole: THANK YOU FOR YOUR "COMMENT"!:) I couldn't have said it better:)

Nesrin: THANK YOU NESRIN... I can't stop laughing....I will look into your suggestion, thanks. Hopefully you'll have your own "turjumana company" soon:)

Elvira: I thought about translating my name and using it as the name of the company. In my opinion, it's not that catchy.

Bilore: Cedar is definitely an option. thanks:)

Samuel: Your suggestion gives me a lot of ideas:) Ho
... See more
Nicole: THANK YOU FOR YOUR "COMMENT"!:) I couldn't have said it better:)

Nesrin: THANK YOU NESRIN... I can't stop laughing....I will look into your suggestion, thanks. Hopefully you'll have your own "turjumana company" soon:)

Elvira: I thought about translating my name and using it as the name of the company. In my opinion, it's not that catchy.

Bilore: Cedar is definitely an option. thanks:)

Samuel: Your suggestion gives me a lot of ideas:) Hopefully i find something suitable, thanks! and you're right, my name is so not catchy for the name of the company!

And finally zsugabubus: Lebanon my dear is in Asia - Middle East. As Nesrin put it, it may be poor when compred to Sweden, but you should pay us a visit sometimes, I bet you'll never leave! And FYI, I'm going international:)
Collapse

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:10
English to French
+ ...
Ibn Khaldoun Aug 6, 2008

or some other spelling variation.

All the best,

abdellatif

Fabio Scaliti
Fabio Scaliti  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Back to history Aug 6, 2008

Hi Wa'ad,

I don't know anything about modern Lebanese's approach to the pre-arabic history of their land, so I hope not to offend anybody with my proposal.

Anyway, I suppose you may already have thought about Phoenicia-, Phoenicians- and the like to build the name of your future company.

So, what about "Words of Phoenicia", "Phoenicia Language Services", ...

Just my 2 cents for today...
See more
Hi Wa'ad,

I don't know anything about modern Lebanese's approach to the pre-arabic history of their land, so I hope not to offend anybody with my proposal.

Anyway, I suppose you may already have thought about Phoenicia-, Phoenicians- and the like to build the name of your future company.

So, what about "Words of Phoenicia", "Phoenicia Language Services", ...

Just my 2 cents for today

Fabio
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Name a translation company!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »