Prices to charge when starting out per 1000 words?
Thread poster: Peter CD1
Peter CD1
Dutch to English
Aug 30, 2008

What would be a reasonable price to charge per 1000 words when starting out as a translator? This would be for French, Dutch and German to English.

I did work experience in a translation agency once, even if it was 11 years ago, and charging was per 1000 words back then.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Your choice Aug 31, 2008

You must calculate, how much you have to earn per hour and how many words you are able to translate on average provided you are working half the time (you still have to live even if you only get jobs for half the time your are available).
It depends where you live, how much are your fixed costs etc.
Good luck!
Heinrich

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:14
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Look at the data Aug 31, 2008

ProZ will show you average rates in your pairs if that is of interest. As for the rates you should actually charge and how much you need to earn, take a look at the ProZ rate calculator - a simple tool, but a good start. If you want to compare the equivalency of different types of calculation based on source and target words (or lines) and see how much you really did earn per hour on your own jobs, take a look at this rate calculation and comparison spreadsheet or grab it off the "How To" tab of my profile page. I prefer looking at real data from my own work rather than relying on figures from other people, which may have nothing to do with my situation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices to charge when starting out per 1000 words?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search