Thread poster: Whiz

Whiz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 01:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 25, 2008

Hi eveybody!

I am a native Turkish Translator and I am planning to move somewhere in Europe (Spain, Italy or UK). In which country I can find a translation job?

Thanks,

Handan

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Inhouse or freelance? Sep 25, 2008

With your source language being English, the UK and Ireland would probably be first choice, although - I hate to discourage you, but... - the choice of inhouse positions for Turkish is probably limited.

If freelance is an option for you, you can potentially be based anywhere. Advice from other users is to follow very shortly

[Edited at 2008-09-25 11:09]

Whiz  Identity Verified
Turkey
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see some companies are working with Turkish Sep 25, 2008

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you for your immediate response. I prefer to find an inhouse position first but until I find a job in that position I will probably continue to work as a freelancer. I see that some companies (in their profile) are indicating that they are working with Turkish and I am sending my resume to those companies. Do you think it won't work?

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Local time: 00:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Mining and automotive Sep 25, 2008

I know that a lot of Italian mining and automotive companies have direct investments in Turkey, probably also Spanish and UK companies as well.

If you have training or experience in metallurgy or manufacturing, this could be a good niche market to research for translation business, most likely as a freelancer.

Why do you want an inhouse job?

[Edited at 2008-09-25 11:40]

Whiz  Identity Verified
Turkey
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I prefer inhouse position cause... Sep 25, 2008

Hi Latin _Hellas!

I have an experience in automotive industry. But I have no idea how can I make a research in this industry.

I prefer inhouse position cause as you know i am from Turkey; a non-EU country. So if work as a freelancer how can I get a visa? And how can I get a work permit? I know these are strange subjects for you, but it is always problem for the Turkish people who want to live in abroad. I think that if I work a permanent job, I can get a work permit. I am so confused....

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Not much chance Sep 26, 2008

Translation agencies in Europe nowadays outsource most of their work to freelancers, and in the case of a less common language like Turkish I am sure that 100% of the work is outsourced. Guess what - they outsource most of the work to freelancers in Turkey because they are the cheapest. You may do a lot better staying in Turkey where life is cheap and trying to get well paid assignments from the West.

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:01
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
In France Sep 26, 2008

I know of two international organizations who have high needs for translators, many in-house, and they're based in Paris. You have to check their websites often for vacancies.
Up to you to see if they work for you.

http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=11709&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

http://www.oecd.org/home/0,3305,en_2649_201185_1_1_1_1_1,00.html

Good luck, and let us know if you find a solution!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding a Turkish translation job in Europe

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search