Thread poster: N. Hewitt
N. Hewitt  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:06
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2008

I, of course, am new here. I have some experience translation, and have been involved extensively in volunteer education, translation and other types of work. I would love to recieve critique of my overall presentation. (my CV, my comments, anything at all that would help me attract clients. Should I buy a membership? I currently have no work and want to get started with some projects. I would really like to find the work here online. Can you help me??? I thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:06
English to German
+ ...
Hello Nathaniel, welcome! Dec 7, 2008

Here are a few comments:

1. Your CV contains mistakes (I spotted 4 or 5 at first glance). The word "proofreader" followed by a typo probably doesn't leave the desired first impression.

2. The fields of expertise listed on your profile page don't go hand in hand with your CV. Example: "Advertising/PR" (because it's listed as your #1 field of expertise on your profile page) isn't backed by any proof of formal training and/or experience in your CV.

Such things can take a lot of credibility out of any presentation.

Buying a membership is always a brilliant idea.

HTH.

Best,
Nicole

N. Hewitt  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:06
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excelent Dec 7, 2008

Thank you. I knew it was a good idea to post my question. I have corrected some mistakes. I have also tried to rearange my fields to reflect my experience. Also, I bought my membership! Any other ideas to get work/improve my look? Where to apply, what else to say on my profile, etc??? I can't wait to get my first job here. I love translation am thrilled with the idea of earning a living with it. Thank you so much for your time and observations.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:06
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Concentrate on only one language pair Dec 7, 2008

One language pair is plenty. Remember, you want to earn money, and, to conduct business, you will need to earn a certain amount per hour. It usually makes economic sense to translate into your native language. The opposite way round is usually not feasible, because you cannot do it fast enough to earn enough. If, as you state in your profile, your native language is English, then make sure your English is perfect wherever you are seen to use it, for example here in the forums. Your spelling and grammar need to be impeccable. In your most recent posting you have made a spelling mistake in the heading, as well as a further spelling mistake in the body of the text, and omitted a word from one sentence. In your first posting I also see a spelling mistake. A translator is a writer in the target language. For this reason, less than perfect English is not good enough, and, for the same reason, it does not make sense to atttempt to translate into a foreign language.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:06
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Hourly rates Dec 9, 2008

Unless you translate very slowly, I'd say your posted hourly rate is far too low. A general guideline is to make it about what you would earn in an average hour of translation. So if you are getting about USD 0.12 per word and you translate an average of 300 words per hour, your hourly rate should be somewhere in the ballpark of USD 36 per hour. What may happen if you have an imbalance like this is that you will find a lot of your time being booked for translation or editing work at the hourly rate, and you'll wonder why you are working so hard as your income declines.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with my overall presentation

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search